Dt: water management

Gonna throw out a different opinion and say i like the shinies. :smiley: dodges thrown fruit

5 Likes

…and there is nothing wrong with that. :smiley: #nofoodtrown.

4 Likes

This update is a dream come true. I have no idea what to think or not think about the sparkles, I think they’re fantastic and I love them, but most of all, there is FINALLY a truly new dimension to the game [as far as I am concerned]. I can build far more interesting, elegant, and purposeful buildings now with these tools. Thank you, Radiant. Tonight, my friends and I will raise a toast to you. You have done exceptionally well. Special thanks to @Albert for the water physics, and @malley for the art improvements. And thank you @sdee for continuing to do these updates. You guys are great, I am not happy I had to wait a year, but boy, am I glad I did wait. This is what I want. More of this.

10 Likes

This (along with a few other bugs and tweaks) has been fixed internally and will be in the next patch.

12 Likes

Uhm, new waterfall effects? Thanks Malley, it didn’t changed much, but it is looking better!

Also, I must let this be clear: I will not be sad if the river mod became obsolete! Much the opposite, it will make me happy to have it stable in the main game, and not that hacky thing I made, plus one less thing for me to worry about :stuck_out_tongue:
Though I must admit that I’m curious to test world generated waterfalls, in the canyon biome.

11 Likes

Oh man… you heard him. Rivers generated with the world?! Yes, please. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I love you folks, you know that?
(even if I’m no longer around that often)

8 Likes

Maybe wet stones generate in riverbeds? :smiley:
And random patches of desert where dry stones form?

2 Likes

Let’s see if I’ve got this straight. Wetstones keep generating water, and drystones absorb water that touches them. So, if you put a wetstone in a lake, and a drystone at a certain level up in that lake … would the lake just fill up to the drystone and stay at that level? Of course, if you started draining the lake, the level would go down - but once you dammed it up again, the lake would eventually refill. That’s a close enough approximation of springs/rainfall to me.

I really like these, and they’d definitely be great for Rayya’s Children/desert towns. But part of me’s not sure about this whole magic thing - luckily, the code for this should make it much easier to mod in more “realistic” water sources on top.

2 Likes

If the wet & dry stones are in the same lake, then you wont see a change - because the one is feeding on whatever the other is providing. So the level you place something doesn’t matter - but if you place a wetstone in a lake up high and then watch how it overflows (or dig a trench or something) to a lower level lake and put a drystone in there, then you’d create a ‘system’ that way (and the bottom lake wouldn’t overflow). If you want you can try them out right now on our unstable branch (pretty sure anyway) with the devtools mod and the item stamper, just type “wet” or “dry” into the search bar and they should be the only things that show up : ). And please report back with images of fun waterfall creations! ; D.

2 Likes

I think the best solution would if its possible to change the area where the effect is shown so only at direct zoom you can see the effect. so it wouldnt change the optic (only if you zoom directly at the stones) … but im honest i dont know if this is possible xD

2 Likes

You mean beside the fact that they spout out water all over the place? Or do they have a turn on/off button in the UI?

I am already picturing caves behind waterfalls and combined with the upcoming buildingsystem, the ideas is “flushing” in :smiley:

Great work on this guys!

Thanks.

6 Likes

This is very impressive.

I think the devs said that nothing will be put into the game that doesn’t interact with the game. How is water going to interact with the game mechanics please?

4 Likes

Does defense count for this? Because as of right now a moat is fantastic for that.

Though i’m guessing you were originally intending something more along the lines of water affecting farms and the like.

Edit: Does anyone know if water provides aesthetic?

crosses claws in hope for irrigation implementation for farming

7 Likes

I cannot accept the cubemitter style waterfalls. They are completely out of place. Water has to be accelerated to quite impressive speeds to spray as droplets, otherwise the viscosity is strong enough to keep it together. Besides, it doesn’t look nearly as good as the simpler version from concept art:

Irrigation is a bad idea. Crops do need water but they get it from the soil which absorbs rain, they don’t sucks water like some mad pumps from water bodies. Also, the idea seems extremely limiting when it comes to terrain planning and it would certainly limit creative possibilities.

2 Likes

Is a water filled trench any more effective than an empty one?

I thought about that after i responded to you, and I think the only way they are different is that entities may move slower under water? At least hearthlings do… not sure about goblins and the like.

That version is so aesthetic

I don’t know, how viscous is water in stonehearth?

Although I do agree that, on small drops, it looks a bit weird. You have the possibility to emit voxel models in the cubemitters, so let me suggest that you spawn 1x1xn vertical blocks in the cubemitter that need to represent flowing water (bonus points for if these cubemitters move down.). Do that for small drops, add the spraying for large drops, add a little spraying at the bottom of every fall, intensity proportional to the drop height.

2 Likes