Devices of Mass Production implemented by Engineers

Blacksmiths are great and all, and I’m certain they’d still be superior when it comes to forging an individual product of high quality, but what use are Engineers if they can’t implement and maintain systems of mass production?

The raw resources, materials and labour needed for factories and mechanized mass production already exist in Stonehearth. Factories need power (coal and water), labour, but most importantly, they need Engineers who can pioneer, implement and maintain these systems.

It’s good to see powerful Towns have many Blacksmiths, but it’s somewhat disappointing for end-game Towns to remain “stuck” at Medieval methods of manufacturing. If energy, Engineers and labour already exist in Stonehearth, then why not allow the building of systems of power and mass production?

Engineers would finally be an essential class that could stand on their own since they would be needed to push Towns into a new age of technology while still not taking away anything from Blacksmiths. In other words, introducing mass production would demarcate two useful functions between Engineer and Blacksmith, that of quality vs quantity.

Water pumps, irrigation systems and the like would be a great addition to Towns, and so would the mass production of things like food and raw materials.

Perhaps this is too much of a break from Stonehearth’s Fantasy aesthetic, and I also think so. In which case this could maybe be a mod? Or maybe alter factories to require magical power thereby preserving the Fantasy aesthetic.

3 Likes

I’m all for engineers gettin’ more stuff. There was a mod at one point that had production lines a while ago. MechanicalMod v0.9.2 Hope that helps. It’s terribly out of date, but maybe it’ll give some brave soul inspiration!!

3 Likes