[Dev Blog] Combat Engine!

@Geoffers747 actually I have also just thought about the idea with “fading” color :wink:.

@sdee… how about a less martial version of Geoffers’ suggestion and instead of having body parts falling of, the cloth / armor would start to decay with a visible effect, i.e. at the end of a long fight, the workers might end up in rags or even their pants and bra? In case there is a critical hit, maybe they could even lose a complete part of their armor at once (like the helmet falling off).

2 Likes

Body parts falling off could be interesting for the undead, where each body part becomes a (weak) fighting unit on its own. It would be interesting to see an army fight against a bunch of hands, feet and one or two heads.

6 Likes

given the original design direction, I fully anticipated this… but it’s wonderful to see it in black and white! :smile:

this. is. awesome.

this gets my vote, as I am really fond of the existing popup experience (marking trees, showing hunger, etc.) …

I can see three different versions… one where the emote is wincing (initial/low level damage), one where the emote is gritting or baring its teeth (mid level damage), and one showing the emote with little "x"s over its eyes (critical blow, near death)…

since we’ve already seen the beginnings of this on display, I fully expect it to be modded in, if nothing else… :pray:

2 Likes

I really think this would be an appropriate way to go. It has to be clear and unobtrusive.

P.S. Hi everyone! Original KS backer and long time Discuss lurker.

2 Likes

well then… welcome aboard! :smiley: :+1:

3 Likes

Don’t forget to check in :slight_smile: (i am really trying to make that thread more visible and known)

Thank you to both of you!

Please have a way to turn the blood off. Maybe sparks (yellow) are damage like the blue sparks are blocks.

1 Like

Doesn’t this present a real problem. Let me explain. I have fenced Kendo for over 20 years, I fight with two swords like Musashi. Simultaneous hits are common in sword play. Now maybe I am misreading this, maybe you are saying if person A is stunned or killed before his simultaneous hit on ork B the hit won’t count (though I think it should for less damage, inertial, gravity, sharp blades and all). And that you are not saying hit A is interrupted by hit B just because B’s hit was milliseconds before…

Said better: Two people of any skill can hit each other at the same moment and potentially kill each other.

These two are both feeling the pain.

2 Likes

You should be able to choose the particles you want and the amount of gore and blood you want but I also think the particles should be a bit similar to the Minecraft potion particles with those stars also I really hope radiant keeps on developing it love the multiple attacks

It’s great to hear from someone experienced in swordplay (and with wooden swords too!). The game does currently honor simultaneous hits. I’ve seen a simultaneous kill a few times and was wondering whether we should keep that in the game. I’m assuming you’d vote yes for that.

2 Likes

I think there should be four levels of health. The first would be healthy, where villagers would wander and work as normal. Beat, when they suffered a few minor hits and suffer a slight penalty to combat and working productivity. Wounded, when they suffered a serious wound and have to limb to move around in addition to the effects above - healing items might be required to restore the villagers at this point. The final level would be maimed. Villagers move extremely slowly and after some time without help, they may need to make a saving throw to determine if they live another day, or parish, in addition to the effects above - expert help may be needed at this point.

4 Likes

oh sure, 20 years of practice and suddenly he’s the expert… :blush:

very well… but does he have his own library card (with absolutely zero late fees!) as well as an original, mint condition ET lunch box? i think not…

i do however completely agree with @Ramcat’s comments… :wink:

makes two of us my good man!

2 Likes

To chime in again, I’d make blood optional. … uf only because nobody wants soccermoms getting in a tizzy. But then, there are soccer dads, too, and players who legitimately don’t want to watch their villages get painted with blood.

2 Likes

This teaser has got my mouth watering. :smile:

One step closer to Samurai and Ashigaru.

Oh the ideas I have. (Oh the crazy ideas that will be way to complex to program xD)

:sake: Kanpai!

Great work yet again!

2 Likes

Hold on.

Ahem . . .

#YES!

You need to be aware of that blood particles in some countries are seen as gore in the game will be set as 16+ or 18+ which would be a bid sad. (the lose of blood effects would be too though)

oversimplification mode … engaged! :blush:

perhaps players will have the option to:

1. toggle all particle effects on/off (generic)

2. toggle individual particle effects (specific)

the first option would suit folks with lower end cards, who might disable effects to improve performance, while the second option would allow people to specifically remove one or more effects…

1 Like

AAAAAWH YES! COMBAT!

This is what I was cheekishly hoping for!

Proof:

3 Likes

Love how things are progressing.

To chime in on the blood discussion, I know I’m going to be playing this with my wife (which was why I bought the extra copy) and she is not going to be comfortable playing a game with people suffering bloody deaths and dismemberments. Also I don’t think it really fits with the otherwise cute appearance of the game.

I realize that the current splash of bright red particles is a place marker and I think there needs to be something to indicate hit/damage visually. The current place marker is garish and actually kept throwing me out the game (video?) when I saw it, no matter how I tried to ignore it. I think no matter what system you choose to indicate damage, it should be unobtrusive. It should be clear enough so that the player can understand what is happening in the game and make choices, but should otherwise be in the background and not distract from the cinematic nature of the game.

3 Likes