Dani's Modding Corner

mod idea: a specified “gatherer” that can run crazy fast and has a huge backpack. smoke behind hearthlings’ feet as he/she runs to gather things from far far, far away. Hearthling has a pet that follows

1 Like

Larger backpacks apparently have a disproportionate processing cost (i.e. performance impact) according to one of the Desktop Tuesdays where Stephanie talked about changing how some of the level-up abilities worked. There used to be some classes (the trapper comes to mind) which got backpack size increases at higher levels, but this proved to make them less performant. I suspect it’s because a bigger backpack creates more decisions for the computer to make when it’s deciding what to put in there, and probably also makes it more work to keep track of those items which are in backpacks rather than in proper storage or accessible somewhere in the world.

Cricket golems already work as a specified gatherer, and because they have only a limited AI and needs (i.e. no sleeping or eating so they never need to look for beds or food), they have a much lower processing cost than a “full” hearthling’s brain. Golems work much better for “single-task classes” since there’s nothing to distract them from their job and the computer doesn’t need to do as much work keeping them doing their job; so I reckon that an ‘advanced hauling golem’ would be a better fit than applying buffs to a class designed to only do 1 thing.

3 Likes

agreed on everything except I was looking for the cuteness factor of a gatherer. The moccasins, the wind in her hair, the puffs of smoke behind her feet as she learns to run faster and faster…

2 Likes

fair enough, and that’s the beauty of modding – it’s totally possible to do a mod like this and devote that kind of attention to aesthetics rather than something purely functional/“optimised.”

If I get a worker with a reasonable body stat and the pack mule trait, I’ll often make them a “dedicated hauler” (i.e. disable all other jobs), just for the roleplay factor. I’ll even try to get them wearing a particular set of worker clothing from a trader, so honestly I reckon I’d use this mod if it existed.

One idea for an awesome feature would be if the hauler could interact with cricket golems, or even just had their own “golem cap” that could “take” hauling golems from the Geomancer’s control over to the hauler’s – then you have a hearthling whose job it is to play postmaster and not just carry stuff themself but also “look after” the town’s fleet of crickets as they scurry around… would be a lot of fun and incredibly cute haha!

3 Likes

Too cute!
“THE POSTMASTER”

1 Like

IT’S A NEW YEAR MIRACLE…

TRAPPER+ updated to 1.2!

Finally! After considerably more than one year (damn you, ACE! :forlorn:) Trapper+ is finally updated. The issues have been fixed, everything has been improved and it is now not only compatible but exclusively functional with ACE! It still works without it, but it has improved features and new mechanics with it!

The major highlights are probably the new tools for the Trapper like the Campfire & Pot or the Salt Box; a new type of naturally occurring mineral, Salt and its related new system of salt curing with Salt Boxes; a rework of the game’s resources with now two sizes of pelts, meats and leathers (among other things); a complete revamp of all the filters allowing you to control your smokery the way you want; new storage and stockpiling options like wall racks for pelts or rawhide piles; new buffs and mechanics like the foul smog from tanning tubs and much more!

Additionally, Trapper+ Taxidermy is not updated yet which means that while it will work, it won’t have unique biome visuals for the mounted animals yet. The update for the submod should come soon :tm:

The following patch notes should detail most of it in no particular order! The update is probably compatible with existing saves however glitches and errors are likely to occur if you don’t start a new game…

That said, on with the notes!

January 19th; v1.2

Structure

• The mod structure has been completely re-organized to mirror the Stonehearth mod structure. It should be much easier to explore (and learn) from Trapper+ now!
  • All recipes that replaced existing recipes are now mixins rather than overrides.
  • The mixintos into the biome manifests have been replaced by new biome manifests.
  • The Trapper lua is not an override anymore (Yay!) but rather a nice and clean monkey-patch! This should make the mod compatible with other mods that modify the trapper, like ACE.
  • All the images and icons in the mod now have the same contour for a nicer, standard visual. Although that standard is not present in the game itself, it felt nice for the mod and it also helps with the very light items (like white raw meat) on the crafting screen.

Added

• Campfire & Pot! This new work station for the Trapper allows them to boil, render and cook. This work station is useful for several of the new recipes and processes and some upcoming ones!
  • Cut of Animal Fat, a new resource obtained when butchering dead creatures.
  • You can also obtain Animal Fat with crafting, from large meat pieces.
  • Bucket of Rendered Animal Fat, a new cooking ingredient obtained by rendering animal fat with the Campfire & Pot.
  • Slab of Lard, alternative rendered animal fat made with pork.
  • Drying Frames, Racks, Smokehouses and tubs now have a default filter and don’t need to be set up anymore. You can still click them to change specific filters.
  • You can now choose individual resource types for many of the trapper tools, similarly to how you can choose specific foods for the Smokery. For example, you can set up drying racks to only accept specific pelts or tanning tubs to only accept either Rawhide or Raw Skin.
  • Multiple new storage options have been added. Although specialized in single items, they have a larger capacity than common input bins.
  • Large Pelt Stockpile, input container. Use it to pile up to 20 large dried pelts.
  • Small Pelt Wall Rack, input container. Use it to hang up to 20 small dried pelts.
  • Rawhide Stockpile, output container. Use it to storage your Rawhide before it goes to tanning tubs.
  • Fresh Leather Stockpile, input container. Use it to pile up to 20 thin leather.
  • Added a new Smokery, the Stone Smokery.
  • Smoking pieces of raw meat will not result in jerky anymore, only in smoked meat. To get jerky now the meat requires to be salted before it is smoked.
  • Smokeries now have a stronger inner light, giving them a cooler effect when the doors are open!
  • Tanning tubs now have a “Foul Smog” buff that will inflict nearby hearthlings with the “Foul Stench” debuff if they stay around for too long. The debuff reduces some stats and makes them sad. Build your tanneries far away from town!
  • Bug Meat Soup, a simpler version of the stew - without veggies but craftable by the Trapper. Should help out factions that start with trappers and bug catching zones but have no cooks!
  • Pemmican, a somewhat efficient (but not tasty) food that the Trapper can craft on level 6 using meat, fruits, fat and rawhide.
  • Pelts are now properly categorized as small, large or skins (varanus, etc.) and while some recipes accept any pelt or any skin, certain recipes will require specific pelt sizes.
  • The same applies for meat, which is now divided as small and large raw meat. Most recipes will accept any meat but - again - some might require specific sizes.
  • A new type of vein will now generate on all biomes, called Salt Vein. Salt Veins can be mined for Clumps 'o Rock Salt, which can then be refined by a level 1 Cook and turned into Sacks of Salt.
  • Salt can be used as a seasoning but also for preserving and curing meats.
  • Salt can also be bought from new traders, Salt Mine Merchants.
  • Salt Box, container. Use it for salting your curables, similarly to how smokehouses work but with longer lasting results. Salted goods can then be smoked, creating even better products.
  • There is now a new building template for “Curing Yards” that contain smokeries and salt boxes.
  • Boiled Leather, a new resource - and Boiled Leather stuff like a small and normal chest, an input box and a new set of armor. Made from bolts of leather and any wax.
  • Waxes can now be crafted by the Herbalist from certain plants or by the Trapper from wool.

Changed

• Many of the recipes have had their level requirements re-organized or moved around a bit.
  • For example, slicing Varanus meat now requires a Trapper of level 2 and not level 3.
  • Changed the images for the Rawhide, Rawskin and Small Rawhide to look nicer and more standarized.
  • Changed the model of the Drying Frame. It now uses animations to have sleek, straight legs instead of ugly and crispy voxel-diagonals!
  • Slightly changed the models of the Smokeries and also changed their names to Wooden Smokery and Clay Smokery.
  • Jerky doesn’t count as “raw meat” anymore and is its own prepared food. Its efficiency and quality have been increased a lot to compensate for the effort of making it.
  • Due to Jerky now being a quite good food item, all loadouts that contained jerky have had it replaced for regular smoked meat.
  • Each smokery is now exclusive to their related faction; Wood for Ascendancy, Stone for Northern Alliance and Clay for Rayya’s Children.
  • All Building Templates have been tweaked and now contain the new campfire & pot and storage options.
  • Localization: All instances of “Cougar” were renamed to “Big Cat”.
  • Wolf Rug and Big Cat Rug have been enlarged and are now 4x4 instead of 3x3.
  • Pinch of Tannin is now slightly smaller.
  • The graphics and styles of all raw meat cuts has been changed. They now look more like generic meat bits instead of different colored jerkies.
  • Pelts have been organized better and their graphics are now properly rendered, with no more generic pelt graphics overlapping them because of the mixin.

Fixed

• Fixed an issue that prevented the Trapper from obtaining experience by trapping - it was only gaining experience from crafting.
  • Fixed the broken positioning of the Tanning Tub smog effect.
  • Fixed lots of typos throughout the whole mod.
  • Fixed an issue that made it so pets would get into a weird loop trying to eat raw meat and would end up starving to death without ever eating.

Compatibility

• Resources for all ACE creatures and new foods have been added, which include fresh hides and raw meat for Moo-moos, Bears… etc.
  • If ACE is active, the Northern Alliance and Rayya’s Children Trappers will have a recipe for fox hats instead of raccoon hats. They’re basically the same stat-wise, but since the ACE NA trapper already has a Raccoon hat, this solves that issue.
  • Additionally, all the pelts, and hats have unique graphics for each biome, based on the unique graphics of their animals on each biome as well.
  • Rendered Animal Fat can be used as a grease in cooking.
  • Lard can be used as “Any Butter”.
  • Bucket of Tallow, alternative animal fat rendered from steak. Can be used as grease, cooking oil or poor wax.
  • Bee Nests and Bee Skeps will provide you with Beeswax, a fine wax.
  • There is a recipe for slicing Steak, it provides two pieces of raw meat.
  • There is a couple of new recipes for fur bundles, large (48) and small (6). Fur bundles are like other piles, but they’re restricted to ACE to benefit from the ACE Pile component that allows a crafted pile to remember the individual items used to make it, so you can get exactly the same pelts back.
  • Bug Meat Soup provides the “Warm Belly” buff.
  • Pemmican can be crafted with the “Fruit” resource instead of “Fruit Seed”
  • The Trapper can craft Fish Traps, and the Carpenter can’t anymore.
  • There is a more efficient tannin recipe that requires Chestnut logs. It produces two pinches of tannin but requires the trapper’s campfire & pot.
  • When using ACE, there is now a new mechanic that will cause Tanning Tubs to run out of Tannin, Salt Boxes get brined and Smokehouses run out of fuel. The trapper will automatically refill these resources but it will require you to maintain them (like tannins or salt)
  • All the best cured products provide a buff (Smoky Flavors) when eaten if using ACE.
  • Whenever ACE is active, the “Harvest Beast Loot Table” data is removed from animals since ACE doesn’t use it either.
  • The mod is also completely compatible with the Archipelago Biome mod, having special products related with the Archipelago fishes and specific filters for them.
  • There is also a recipe for slicing Big Fish into fish fillets if both ACE and the Archipelago mod are present.
  • The mod is also compatible with LostEms, adapting the small fur rug recipe to use small pelts.

That’s it! It certainly took some time but it was definitely worth it! Thank you all for the support and the kind words during this time and I hope you all enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed working on it :jubilant: :heart:

As always, please report any issues you might found and I’ll fix them whenever possible!
Stay safe and stay warm! :merry:

6 Likes

Love what I’m reading, USING IT TIME!

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s user error (meaning I’m not doing something correctly lol) or a bug but I’m not able to place any fish traps - i have 5 crafted & when I click on it it says reached fish trap placement limit 0/0 - my trapper is max level

If you are using Bruno’s Archipelago mod, the fish trap limit is handled by the Fisher - so you need a fisher for it!

1 Like

Ah ok yes I do have that mod as well (must have my coconuts lol) - thanks!

2 Likes

My intention was for the fisher to add to the limit, not handle it all by itself. As in, the trapper increases the limit and then the fisher just adds two more to it. If that is not the case, then it is a bug I should look into

1 Like

There is indeed a bug, but I’m still not sure where it is (ACE, Trapper+ or Archipelago)
The trap limit is not being saved (ie: loading the game zeroes it again) so I’ll check where the flaw happens; if it’s on Archipelago I’ll let you know but I’m actually suspecting it might be an ACE issue.

EDIT:
A couple of other issues I’m aware of (about Trapper+) that I’m going to fix ASAP:

• Raw meats are not being properly detected by crafting
  • Tannin filters are not working
  • The trapper takes too long to refuel their stations when needed
  • Fish is becoming jerky straight up instead of requiring being salted first
  • Hat visuals are not being updated to the ACE animal visuals if Archipelago mod is not present… That one is very weird and I’m unsure what causes it, I suspect it’s some deep manifest reading magic, but I’ll check it out.

@BrunoSupremo
Soooo, I found the bugs… There’s two of them, apparently. I tried only ACE, ACE+Fisher, ACE+Trapper and all 3… and there’s actually a bug in both of our mods.

In Archipelago the bug is quite simple, just add the necessary variable saving to town. The limit raise is not being saved so when you load the game, it goes -2 again.

In Trapper+ it is a bit more complicated, the Trapper is not unlocking limits at all so there’s probably something wrong with my patch =/

2 Likes

Ok, i will check that

1 Like

TRAPPER+ hotfix 1.2.1

Hello everyone! Just a quick hotfix to address the bugs that appeared so far and probably the only ones really impairing gameplay. Small tweaks for quality of life have been made as well.

Short update, but here it is! :merry:

January 22th; v1.2.1

Added

• There is now an Input Bin filter for Pinch of Tannin.

Changed

• Out of fuel smokehouses, watered tanning tubs and dirty salt boxes can all now be fixed by workers as well. This was changed mostly because the Trapper is already quite busy as it is and there were cases where they could take a couple of days before having time to do such things. This change only affects your game if you also use ACE.

Fixed

• The Fish Trap Limit issue has been fixed and the trapper can now once again unlock fish trap slots for your town.
  • A bug that caused ACE fish fillets to be smoked directly into jerky has been fixed.
  • A game impairing bug that prevented raw meat from being recognized and usable by cooks has also been fixed.
  • A very weird bug that caused all the biome-unique visuals for Trapper+ Hats and Rugs when using ACE to not be changed correctly if NOT using Archipelago Biome mod has been fixed.

And that’s all!
Please report any other issues you may find and stay safe and warm, as usual :jubilant:

2 Likes

Using Ace, Trapper+ and Compost. When my workers refill the salt box or add firewood to the smokehouse it resets the filters. Ascendency in the wood area. New game started it yesterday before the most recent hotfix. I’ll try making a new smokehouse and see if that fixes it.

New smokery is still resetting the filter ah well

Are you using any other mods?

I’m trying to reproduce it but I can’t, filters are kept regardless of how I change them :forlorn:

Only subscribed to Composting, Ace, Dani’s Core and Trapper+. I’ll just restart and hope it doesn’t reoccur.

If it happens again, please provide me a save so I can try taking a look? It really shouldn’t happen so it’s worth investigating!