Custom object tabs in new builder

I have a feeling the object list in the new builder will end up like Cities: Skylines panel. Dozens of mods adding zillions of objects what will make scrolling through them an exhausting task. Having each and every placeable object under only four tabs means hundreds of entities per tab, not nice
old
(BTW, the chair icon violates the rules of perspective, I fixed it on the next images).

So I thought: why not have an ability to define new tabs for our modded objects? This however would mean a dozen of icons adding up to an absurdly long panel, so it should be possible to scroll through it. For example, to reach Archmod object list one would need to open the new builder to see the panel
new1
and scroll one icon right to see the Archmod icon:
new2

This would of course mean there should be a JSON defining the order and icons for the new categories as well as a separate category tag which affects the builder only.

What do you think?

3 Likes

Seems like a cool idea!
Thanks, now I can’t unsee the slightly off chair icon… XD

The chair is perfect. This is its front view:

4 Likes

That’s what you get for promoting that Hearthling with 1 Mind to be your carpenter :joy:

On a serious note, I completely agree with the suggestion. I feel this personally with my Glassworks mod since it adds hundreds of windows and doors and I feel a bit bad about not being able to neatly organize that. Perhaps sub-categories (Icons within icons) could be considered as well for even better organization :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with this idea! A lot of mods out there add a bunch of furniture and decorations, which makes the existing tabs really crowded. (I like your Archmod Icon :heart:~)

How did I not notice this!?
I fail as an illustrator… and now I can’t unsee the perpective error.

This dealt the final blow to me.
If you’ll excuse me, I will be in the corner fixing my sides…

1 Like

I was thinking if there is any solution available right now so I could release a very modest testing version of Archmod to get feedback if implementing things the way I planned isn’t too tedious to work with. Then I realised there already are categories in Decorations and Furniture panels:

Bez%20nazwy-1

I think it would be perfectly enough if there was a way to customise it. Questions to answer:
Is it possible to add new categories to these panels?
Is it possible to introduce categories under Doors and Windows?

The panels use category tag in ghost .JSON and thankfully it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with material tags. The problem is it cannot be customised right now (searching for "workshops" in stonehearth.smod returns only entity and language files so it is defined somewhere else).

Forget my fancy scrolling icon bar, now I want a JSON file read by the GUI instead. Seems like much less work to implement and just as effective (and doesn’t require making mod icons!):

{
"decoration": ["decoration", "construction"],
"furniture": ["workshops", "furniture", "storage"],
"door": ["door"],
"window": ["window"]
}