[con] Hovering table -- "gravity without physics" bug alluded to in dev blog?

Title: hovering table

Summary: I placed two tables next to each other – I thought they had no overlap, but I may have been mistaken – and the second one to be placed hovered in the air slightly above ground level (Fig. 1). This may be the “Gravity without physics” bug alluded to in the dev blog, in which case this would not be anything new, but it might still be good to have a thread for it as a place of discussion, or something.

Steps to reproduce: Have not tried, but I would assume just craft several items and place them next to each other. Mind you, I placed chairs at the same distance from one another and they showed no such issue, so not all items may be equally sensitive to this (perhaps varies with overlap, distance, item size, etc.?)

Expected results: Insofar as I am correct that there were no overlaps, the items should both just be placed on the ground. In the case of overlap, well, probably either attempted placement should give an error (or just not work), or the items should tumble over each other or whatever.

Attachments:

Fig. 1: Floating table.

Versions and mods: No mods, latest release version in Steam at the time of writing, version 0.1.0 (release 99) according to the title screen.

System information:

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
  • Memory: 8192MB RAM
  • DirectX-version: DirectX 11
  • Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
2 Likes

Yup! This happens because the collision region for the table is slightly larger than the model, so even when you THINK it’s just touching/not overlapping, it might be. For extra fun, try making a row of fences.

1 Like

thanks again @Phagocytosis

the legion does indeed swell @sdee! :smile:

2 Likes

Version: alpha 4 (latest steam branch)
How to reproduce:
Have a picket fence in a storage
Order a villager to place the fence near the storage, surrounding it.
It will be put in the ordered place, but it will appear above the ground level.
What to expect:
No error messages, only flying picket fences. If you try to place another in the same spot they will appear above the other picket fence.

Description:
The villagers tired of the opression of my tyrannical rule decided to mock my regime by wasting precious wooden resources and my time with useless wooden collums which contribute nothing to the ancient principles of aesthetics based on the divinity of STONE collums created by me, therefore I humbly ask that the Stonehearth staff erradicate all wood resources from the game. If not possible, then I ask to fix the bug in question, thank you.

This bug might be the same of the one in this thread, but I’m not so sure:

1 Like

Yes, it’s the same. It has been mentioned in other threads. Thanks for reporting anyway, so we have a screenshot of the fences example. :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that in addition to items stacking up when they are placed on top of each other, this also happens when they are placed adjacent to one another. This was especially noticeable with tables and fences, which are often arranged in this manner.

1 Like

thanks @Lagueppe… if possible, would you mind tossing up a screenshot to demonstrate the issue?

Just you wait, next month when Jung gets planeshifted, he’s totally going to a place where the physics works like this. :smiley:

Good to see you around the forums!

When placing tables down next to each other they will hover just next to the table and not touch the ground. this can keep happening until you have a table stair case the the Stonehearth heavens!
Also as they are off the ground the workers are unable to retrieve them so they are stuck there forever.