Canyon Biome mod

Absolutely gorgeous! Downloading when I am done with work (amazing how it always gets in the way of my fun)

While I was playing this Biome, I noticed something neat. happened by accident.

The monument has risen!

1 Like

That is probably related to hitboxes of those items.
I can see the red ore vein in your pic, totally forgot about it. Is it a marble vein, right? I need to add a color to those.

1 Like

yeah that was what it was I placed the four columns and the monument at the same time. Yeah the red is marble from the Tuhalus mod

I really wanted to play as Rayya’s Children in this biome, but I cannot find very much clay at all. Am I looking in the wrong places or is there only stone in these canyons?

Oh, right. This last update had update the mining loots. This biome added clay to the rocks (the canyons are all rocky terrain) but it was based on the old values. I will have to update this to drop clay again. Right now it will be super rare… :frowning:

1 Like

When you make that update, will I have to restart my game or just upgrade the 'smod?

Just updating the mod will apply the effects to your game. So the next rocks you mine will have higher chance of getting clay. I’m taking a look at the mod right now, so maybe I can upload this today. There is other small changes in the mod too.

If you want, you can update this little thing yourself.
Change the .smod to .zip and extract the contents. In the extracted folders, go into data/biome/canyon_mining_loot_table.json. Open that file and change the number “0.2” near the end of the text file to the number “200”. This will make the clay drop rates back to normal.

1 Like

Thanks muchly, @BrunoSupremo ^.^

p.s. look at this cutest little island in amongst the canyons:

9 Likes

Updated!

Everything in the main post. The only changes are a compatibility patch for mining clay and the addition of new building clay colors, for matching houses with the terrain.

[details=If someone with modding experience can help me with this little thing:]I tried changing the farmer restriction of only being able to plant on grass and dirt, to also be able to farm on rocks, but I failed. I tried accessing the stonehearth.world_generation:get_biome_alias() in the FarmingCallHandler:choose_new_field_location() but the game gives errors.

My idea was to check which biome was being used, and in case of it being this one, remove the restriction.

I could just change the world generation completely and make the mountains be made entirely of dirt (or at least the top most blocks), but that solution would be overkill…[/details]

3 Likes

which part of the code is determining that only dirt and grass layer are farm-able? One would suggest that if its bound to top layer it should not matter which material you select. If its material wise could you not change the colour of grass?

It is in that function, FarmingCallHandler:choose_new_field_location()

set_find_support_filter(stonehearth.selection.valid_terrain_blocks_only_xz_region_support_filter({
        grass = true,
        dirt = true
     })

I just need to add rock there (easy), but only if it is the right biome. The call to stonehearth.world_generation:get_biome_alias() is not working, returning nil.

I don’t understand your suggestion about changing the grass color. Grass are only at bottom layers of the map. You will not be able to farm at the top of a canyon as it is rock block type. If I were to add a grass layer to every elevation, I would need to create multiple new grass blocks, each with the correct color… A solution that is as overkill as simple replacing everything with dirt in world generation.

Praise Bunny!

(Post must be at least 20 characters)

1 Like

needs also an fix for a20 :wink:

1 Like

Mod Updated

Changes:
It is just a compatibility patch. (Maybe I had made some small tweaks too, I can’t remember, but probably not)

Download:
At the first post.

Future:
I’m highly unsatisfied with how this biome has come (it started just as an experiment after all).
I plan a big overhaul update later, which would bring its quality up to the Archipelago level. The main change would be a completely rework of the terrain generation, to allow a river to flow in the bottoms of the biomes.

10 Likes

The only problem I have with your mod is that the dirt/grass layer is way too thin where there is dirt and grass.Otherwise I really like your work!

I can’t create a new game on Canyon biome with alpha 20 last release.
I chosed the Ascendancy and normal difficulty and when i clicked on “Begin” the game crashed and closed :cry:

Have you take a fresh copy of the Mod? Because it was updated

I just clicked on this link “canyon_biome.zip84 (3.3 MB) Compatible with a19 and a20
Extract it, grab the canyon_biome.smod file and add it into your mods folder.”

It’s write that it’s compatible with alpha20. :confused:

1 Like

Do you have other mods? What is your version of the game? Did you try a second time? (It crashed for me once when I jumped through the screens too fast)

1 Like