Best self-teaching resources for Java, C++, others

I honestly think this is why they put the classes up online.

Just to clarify, all I (and Tom! And Tony!) taught was section–the weekly small group break-out classes that accompany the main lectures. Ok, and I guess we graded the projects… and staffed the labs… but it’s not quite the same as being the main lecturer (who is usually a full professor, and who picks the curriculum, etc.)

So what you’re really saying is: “Go back in time. Study computer science. Help teach. Make Friends. Let several years elapse. Quit job. Work full time with friends on awesome game. Have more fun at work. Be happy.”

3 Likes

I wanted to learn computer coding and stuff, it seemed fun to be able to teach a computer what to do, tell it how to react to certan things, but now i’m terrified.

seems more than adequate to label you the instructor… if my time at A&M is any indication… :smile:

but i credit you all on just the process of trying to teach (which most regard as the best way to improve your own understanding of the subject material)… :+1:

bah, programming can really be quite rewarding… :smiley:

there’s nothing like having an idea come to mind… map it out on paper… code/debug/code… and finally see that “thing” happen on the screen… whether its capturing/parsing packet data, finding a printer on the network, or making a pixel go from coord1 to coord2… its all good… :wink:

1 Like

Well, the first part might be hard because we’re not done with our time machine yet. :wink:

In my experience, being terrified AND having fun while teaching a computer what to do are not mutually exclusive. But I’m sorry if I contributed to the former. It was not my intent.

This, especially. :wink:

4 Likes

In general, learning anything complex is just good for you. Like, even if you never use those skills anywhere else in your life (completely impossible–complex abilities stack in real life, just like in games!), you just become a bit better at being a human being by having gone through the learning process. Yes, there’s hard work, but anything worth doing is difficult.

Specifically with respect to programming: it’s a hugely powerful skill, even if you don’t become a “professional” programmer. Arguably, moreso if you don’t. By that I mean: a teacher, or a dentist, or a carpenter, or someone at an office job, who can also program, has this secret weapon that they can deploy to overcome some problems (often automation problems, or even creative ones, like authoring your own website) that normal people cannot. It’s a nice little super-power to have :smile:

As far as resources go, if you are at the absolute beginner level, I’d recommend the Learn Code the Hard Way set of materials. It’s written by a talented coder who can also be a little snarky (hence the name!), but I think the methodology is really sound: get familiar with the basics, syntax, some logic, and just being proficient at typing code. The fancy stuff is easier once you get the fundamentals right.

Finally, I’d recommend have something beyond just ‘learn to program’ as your goal, since that’s a little vague, and it’s nice to have something specific you want to accomplish by programming. For me when I was young, this was 3d graphics and games (surprising, right?) Being able to put pixels on the screen was hugely rewarding to me, and only fueled my interest.

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

well said… :+1:

i find that the approaches i take to solving a computing problem translate into problem solving in other capacities… i can approach (and dissect) almost any problem i stumble across, from work related, to fixing something thats gone awry at home, because of the programming principles i’ve tried to learn over the years…

learning to program teaches you how to think analytically, systematically… you look at a problem from multiple angles, and develop new ways to think about solving problems…

the more you know! :rainbow:

2 Likes

This was a cool thread.
Just adding my two cents:
@kyle71698 and @bluetiger6001 --as well as anyone else looking at his tutorials-- TheNewBoston is a great teacher of some basic concepts of java. It’s also entirely free and easy to access being on YouTube so that’s a definite plus. but I think that he barely scratches the surface. He teaches the syntax and expects you to know how to write a program after that. I think that a lot of the basic elements of programming are skipped over in following is tutorials.
Just as well, Bucky (a.k.a. TheNewBoston) puts a fear of the command line into you; claiming it’s inefficient among other things when the command line is something you should be learning not to fear. At least, those are my thoughts on that particular source.
I know his videos are popular around the web as a “starting point” but if you really want to learn to program I disagree.

My source: I took his tutorials years back when I was trying to first start learning to program and ultimately I don’t think I took anything away from them. Other texts and videos like ones @sdee and others have mentioned would be much better.

2 Likes

Well I’m glad that I took Computer Science as a GCSE… The other Brits can explain what they are if anyone doesn’t know. I’ve done it too many times.

EDIT: I’m a beginner… and I’m coding as we speak! I think I find it too fun.

4 Likes

coding really can provide an interesting mix of emotions, as at times it can be both invigorating and terror-inducing… :smile:

but i really do think everyone should take at least some rudimentary programming course… im waiting for the right time to try one of the “easier” languages with my kids… im thinking of jumping into PHP with my daughter pretty soon…

anyone got tips on coding UI in either HTML5 or C++?
I’m currently starting a game and want to learn how to code UI, its kind of scary to me. seems very complicated from what I have seen

I’m doing Python… although the first language I ever learned was XML… it was when I was around 7 or 8 years old (I’m 14 years old now)… and I was independent in learning it! I only did it so I could create custom game pieces on this website called Playcrafter. I was the only person so successfully recreate the limited Trooper player… and some people were much, much older than me.

Edit: I’ve been learning it at school… but seeing I have always liked to do things at a faster pace than everyone else and I also want to be able to make really fun and cool things quicker, I’ve been learning it from this book

2 Likes

i dont have any specific links to provide, but in general, coding a UI would (at least at first blush) be monumentally easier via HTML5 than C++… of course, im basing this on my much broader experience with web application development, as opposed to my limited experience with C++… :smile:

1 Like

Asking the people who program for a living… What’s your opinion on Python for making simple games? I’m only asking because when I can add graphics and such, I’m going to make a dungon-delver top-down single-player game with random generation with the weapons and dungeons… :smiley:

Okay now that I think about it, it doesn’t seem too simple.

But I am using UDK, and it says im supposed to use actionscript with scaleform. I have tried to use actionscript AND I HATE IT.

why does it have to be actionscript. why!

sorry, i have limited experience with UDK, and even less with actionscript (cringe)… if that is your only option, then i feel your pain and frustration…

please accept these adorable icons with my sincerest apologies…

:baby: :baby_chick: :hamster: :bear:

and because its still applicable for few more days… :santa:

3 Likes

As always what I’m saying is subject to opinion… but if you want to learn how to program UI then you should learn how to program in general. The basics are key. Learn the basics of Java and with a firm understanding of OOP and other aspects of programming… then Swing library can prove to be a great introductory to some very fundamental UI functionality. Ive seen friends take that route and advancing from that point gives you a much more firm base to build off of @Azhrak
I think the overall large problem is a lot of kids want to simply just be able to make a game from nothing but thats the wrong thought process. You have to start with the basics.

its not that I would love to program a game, its just I have had had several problems and horrid run ins with AS before, its not a nice coding language but it is what I am limited to for UDK…
@Minion

@Alfie There’s a site called EdX that has MOOCs (Massively Online Something Courses) that you can reference to. Here’s the link to the Python course: Course | 6.00.1x | edX

Yes, it is a course by MIT, and yes, your teacher will, indeed, be the Dean of the Computer Science College (I think that’s what he is, at least.)

Anyway, there’s the MIT one for Python, and Harvard will be starting one soon on several other languages, although I can’t remember which ones. I think it was something like C, PHP, and a few others?

1 Like

What’s your specific desire for using UDK? @Azhrak