Banished - Released Today (18th Feb)!

apologies if I gave you faulty advice! it was the main takeaway from an LP where the guy had built twice the number he had planned, and had his citizens spread themselves too thinly (and consequentially horde food among those who made it to the storehouse first)…

1 Like

No faulty advice! I overstretched myself and didn’t build them quick enough which resulted in freezing to death!

It’s all good though! Current village has around 5k food (should probably expand) 1k food, and a stable amount of firewood, tools, and clothing.

1 Like

It seems like you all are having a lot of fun with this game… maybe I’ll have to get it in the future…

1 Like

Has anyone here played Anno 1404? I loved that game for a while, over 60+ something hours, and it looks really really similar to the gameplay of Banished. Actually it looks better than Banished, perhaps with less crop/profession diversity but more “event / activity” diversity. Even the way Banished highlights the grid placement is similar to Anno (thou granted there aren’t many good ways of doing it other than the way they did it, so it’s hardly stealing. It’s just good convention).

I had planned on jumping on Banished right away, but having spent all that city-building honeymoon on Anno 1404 I’ve come to the end of my “let the game simulator run for 10 hours building a peaceful city with no other content” phase, so-to-speak.

Has anyone here played a lot of both games, and if so, can you compare?

I actually plan to play Anno very soon, stay tuned for another month I’ll be able to let you know :smiley:

I believe Anno is more of a 4x game, whereas Banished is a straight up settlement survival experience.

Totalbiscuit made the comparison in his video, I think he said that he was perhaps expecting something similar to Anno, or that in comparison to Anno it obviously lacked things like tech development - but that this didn’t really matter as Banished is strictly about the survival element.

Very excite about it and really want it, but as usual my game budget is already overblown. Still repaying my wallet…

I’ve bought it today seems very complete.

1 Like

Wesley is eager to put this one through its paces… Wesley, … … is waiting

2 Likes

I learned to play on hard with valleys and fair weather. Next step hard with mountains and fair weather then hard with mountains and rough weather!

I have got a bit of cash so I just want to know whether getting banished is worth it

As always, before I buy any game, I look it up on Youtube for gameplay videos and reviews. Before I bought Banished, I watched Quill18’s play-through of the game. I spent about 2 hours watching those videos. And I bought the game based upon what I saw in the videos.

And I was not disappointed. I highly suggest you watch some videos on it before you buy it.

This is one thing you might want to know about the game in its current state:

• If you get non-steam version, the sound will not work. This is because the dev wanted to make the installer as small as possible, and he forgot the XAudio2, meaning sound will not work. This will be fixed in the next update. There is a current workaround, listed here.
1 Like

Thx @Heilari your advice is extremely helpful

i did the very same thing! :smile:

i was sold long before watching, but this was keeping me entertained as the release was approaching… :+1:

I personally dislike quill cause he talks too fast. I’m not english and even though I use it more than my own language it is still difficult to follow what he says. It is common that people whose second language is english will have an easier time understanding someone whose first language also isn’t english and vice versa so I guess if you’re an english person you should be fine with his stuff :smiley:

Well well, @SteveAdamo does the same things as me! :smiley: How many times has your village died? I have only lost one village so far, and that was because I didn’t know the Market does not hold food. And everything went downhill from there.

@Petard I agree with you that Quill talks a lot, and for a non-native English speaker, that would be hard to follow. But personally I love the guy and his videos :smile:

The market does hold food,that’s it’s primary fonction. Maybe your villagers were super hungry and took it as soon as it went in.

I also like quill,watched his LP’s until i could get the real thing.

wow, it seems Banished was #1 on the Steam top ten list last week… :+1:

And a graph showing people playing on Steam

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=242920&from=1392642223

Considering he was also selling on GoG (actually came out a couple hours earlier there) and from his site with a non steam editon,i think he sold really well:)

If you take into consideration that he was 3 years without a job, I’d say his bank account now looks like he got 200k a year during that time.

People really like Banished :stuck_out_tongue: