Fisher Job 🐟 + Archipelago Biome

#Mod Updated
For Alpha 22!
New class! Terrain changes, new templates, new items, balances and other small changes.

Download:
:up: At the first post. :up:

Changes:

• Fisher class:

Low tier class, promoted using a fisher bucket talisman, crafted by the carpenter (potter if you play with Rayya).
    Can craft float bobber. This item will float in the water and spawn fish from time to time.
    :fish: Fish can be fished using the harvest tool.
    As an early food source, the fisher can prepare it into sashimi (raw fish slices). Else it spoils very fast.
    Or use it to craft a Slap Fish (low level) weapon.
    Fish can also be used to craft fish containers, used for decoration. Some traders will ask for it (instead of the usual crops)
    They can also do the same with pearl, crafting pearl container. It also can be asked in a trade.
    Crab traps can be crafted and will attract :crab: crabs (or spawn if none is near) into it, holding them to be harvested.
    Crab Pincers can be crafted into a (low level) weapon, and footman can wear it like a glove.

• Bigger Islands:

Bigger flat areas to build. The old terrain was too noise, you could barely find a flat area bigger than 32x32 blocks. That should not be a problem anymore.
    Even though the majority of the islands now are bigger, you can still find small islands if you liked those.

• New building template category: :ship: Ships!

The old small boat is updated. Can now be build without ladders or other player assistances.
    Old pirate ship removed, cause it sucked!
    Currently you have 5 boats/ships in total. Ranging from the small 5x12 to the big 22x52.

• New way to harvest fruit trees:
    (Icons made by the awesome @Stmpnk )
    The first time you harvest, it will get the fruits as usual (Coconuts or papaya)
    Harvest a second time (when it does not have fruits) and it will cut the tree for wood.
    No need to click each individual palm tree to cut them. Just harvest them all. One time for fruits, another for wood.

• New items:
    :anchor: Anchor. Decoration placed on the ground or walls. Crafted by a blacksmith using any two metal ingots.
    Flower garland. A decoration to hang on the walls. Crafted by the herbalist using wood and any herbs.
    Hammock. Another bed to sleep. Crafted by the weaver using wood and fibers.
    Fish Stew. Cooked food. Crafted by the cook using vegetables and fish.
    Cooked Fish. Cooked food. Crafted by the cook using fish.
    Crab Omelette. Cooked food. Crafted by the cook using crabs and eggs.
    Crab Cake. Cooked food. Crafted by the cook using crabs, eggs and flour.

• Underwater full of objects:

Ocean floor filled with starfish, oysters, rocks, sunken boats and seaweeds.
    Seaweed is a new plant, like silkweed, gives fiber used by the weaver. Can only be harvested by the fisher and will only grow back (renewable) if it is in the water.

• Balances:
    Coconuts should spoil now. (I had a reason for it not spoiling before, not necessary anymore)
    Coconuts will also satiate the hearthlings thirsty :droplet: (a feature from the Cafe Mod). Makes sense, right?
    Rafts are cheaper to build. 11 wood instead of 18, and 4 cloth instead of 5.
    Pearls (white) value changed from 50 to 35 gold.
    Oysters can only be harversted by fishers now.
    Fruit Container is now Coconut Container. Before it was crafted using any fruit (coconut, papaya, berries), now it requires coconuts only. The cook level to craft it also decreased from 4 to 0.
    The amount of Cocolings spawned in the campaign will change depending on the difficult. Peacefull will spawn 1, normal 2 and hard 3.
    Broken boats drops less gold and silver to counter them spawning more.
    Less silkweed in land to balance the new seaweed in the water.
    More papaya trees in land to fill the spaces left by removing the silkweed.

• Small tweaks:
    A new trait, “passion fisher”, was added for the fisher class.
    Rafts will now always float over the water surface instead of being placed in the bottom of the water.
    Oaks planted in this biome will now have random color variations, like the oaks in the temperate. This avoids repetition, looking all the same.
    Broken Boats now have two different models, again to avoid repetition.
    Beach Tower (build template) is updated with a chair at the top and the hole for the ladder color highlighted. This should better hint the player about the need of a ladder in it.
    Miranda introduction is updated to reflect the new harvest tree feature and oyster harvests being limited to fisher class.
    Less animals (fox, squirrel, etc) in the middle of the islands. (was too crowded)

I hope you all like it and have fun!

21 Likes

you are a god/goddess among hearthlings!

oh my god :smiley: nice well done looking forward to try this new version :slight_smile:in the correct way this time ;D

1 Like

With how much people seem to want fishing in Stonehearth, this better become the most popular mod :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

This looks amazing! I shall have to download it tonight. :smiley:

Amazing work Bruno! Cant wait to try it out with all the new features :jubilant:

After so many requests of fisher class, this is definitely a bomb! :rofl:
Really nice work here!

By the way, the translation of Traditional Chinese is already done. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

i am playing it now. One thing i noticed, was the fish crates. The selling price is only 1 gold higher than the materials. When reading the flavor text that says: ready to be exported. I would imagine they where a bit more worth the effort to crate them? Not much more, but just maybe 5 gold higher than the materials cost? I have not looked into the other items yet. I love the new fisherman class! :merry:

3 Likes

@BrunoSupremo, super cool, as always :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Happy to take feedback about the modding system any time!

3 Likes

I would like to give some feedback on this fisherman class.
I have for a long time wanted to make a settlement on the top of a mountain. This have been almost impossible because the farmer cant provide food to such a settlement, but now with this new class there is a way!
Dondon never knew that he wanted to be a fisher, but as usual he saves the day :jubilant: I made this small pond on the side to a small mountain lake and besides the berrybushes i could haul op on the mountain, the fish now provides an exstra needed suplement to the foodchain! Even though the crabs and seaweed dont exist in the temperate biome, the fish works just fine. Thank you for this @BrunoSupremo :merry:

5 Likes

Ha, never thought about it. Nice!
And man, that little fishing area you dig is so cool!

By the way. I just made them able to auto harvest crabs! It will be a perk for a high level, when you reach that, you will not need to manually harvest, so in the end it will be even more like a farmer, where you just set and forget.
It needs a little bug catching yet (and figuring a few details like, should it go harvest it as soon as possible? Or wait a little? Would there be any limitations? etc…), and then it also needs to adapt to fish because those work a little different, but I’m confident that I will deploy this feature for the next update.

I’m also planning “tier 2” fishing tools. Like this fish farm:

But I have yet to figure out how they will work. (not the code, the actual gameplay of those, should they just spawn more fish?)

Meanwhile, I’m designing an octopus monster:

14 Likes

Cool model for the octopus monster.:thumbsup:

ahaha that is so cool! I look forward to the automation of the class on the higher tier with fish! At the moment the bobbers spawn a pretty high amount of fish compared to their production cost. Basicly cut down one tree and have an endless supply of food :merry: I dont know if i see that as a bad thing, but if you want to increase the fish with the new nets, i worry that the fisherman will fall behind the work that needs to be done? What if the upgraded nets sometimes caugth some extra stuff? Like maybe a pearl or ingot? a weapon or something else? Could be anything depending on what your idea is in the future with the class :merry: Great work as always.

That monster’s giving me some nice Zelda vibes. Love it!

1 Like

must say your modding skills have gotten extremely good :smiley:

Hey what about for the fish farm fishes randomly come in, if you have 2 or more they have a chance to reproduce every now and then

Do quests/missions/events (like the goblin chain or the undead event) happen like in the other biomes ?

Only played it a short time and liked it. Was playing passive/sandbox mode which doesn’t help when i didn’t have any footman and the chest in the beginning spawns a killer coconut chasing my people around lol

1 Like

The tier 2 tools were going to automatically work (fisher would auto harvest it from time to time). But now that the automation will be a high level perk, they kinda lost purpose.
I do like the idea of extra loot though, I even have it here in my to-do list, I was planning a simple collection mini-game based on rare loot fished.

Yes, I guess it is because of the mouth. It was not something I was trying to achieve (the first models didn’t have a mouth, just eyes), but I probably got influenced by it.

Similar to the shepherd zones. I don’t think this will be necessary, because there is no extra benefit to not harvest a fish as soon as it appears. Poyo and sheep on the other hand gives you extra items, so it is a good idea to keep them alive and reproducing.

Yes, you should not see any difference in your quests. Though I’m thinking of changing the biome to only have my quests, but I would only do this when I have good main (and side) quests for the biome.

Your citizens should kill it easily even without a soldier. I was lazy and set their spawn to 1 in peaceful, while in normal it spawn 2 and in hard it spawns 3. I need to make it extremely weak, like two hits dead for that difficult, and have more hp in hard.

A small preview of the initial animations for the octopus:

I guess that is all he needs, other animations will be attacks.
If you guys have ideas of cool attacks, feel free to tell me! I’m thinking about a spinning attack where the legs rotate very fast around him and hit all the hearthlings around, and a ranged spit attack probably with a slowing debuff attached.
Maybe a giant version too…

5 Likes

I love that octopus! have you thought of another name for it than octupus monster?