Anyone else having problems with chinese(?) spam in the workshop?

For some reason that I fail to see, (what I guess are) chineses are spamming my canyon mod.
It is either “666” or random numbers, sometimes random emotes.
I erased a few offensive messages. I’m reporting them all, but I’m more interested in why it is happening. :sweat_smile:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/discussions/1321926509

1 Like

hmm @dalabo could you take a look? Seems like a strange way to gain anything, but who knows what stuff is going on when venturing out on the www :slight_smile:

Numbers are often used by chinese people on the net as abbreviations. Since the language is full of homonyms, numbers are popular to express something else entirely. See:

So, one thread’s headline goes like: “6966666666” with the post being “666”. The above link provides this as an explanation (六 being the chinese character for 6 as you might’ve guessed):

liù liù liù 六六六 (expression)

… is often used by gamers and commenters on live streaming platforms. According to legend (er, Baidu) it originates from Chinese League of Legends gamers who first used the number 6 to show respect, kind of like a ‘well-played.’ It sounds like liū (溜) which means to be adept.

In the same vein, “qwer”, mentioned in another post, are keys used a lot in MOBAS. Probably because your biome reminds them of maps from such games. Other than that, one guy straight out calls you “master”, while another one says something like “still ok”. I can’t explain everything but the rest is probably also some slang praising you. :smiley: Guess that’s what you get if a game gets popular in China.

Edit: The post with “qwer” also mentions “we”. Seems related to:

Team WE, the very first eSports club based in China, formed their first League of Legends team in March of 2011. Initially gaining recognition for their Warcraft 3 division, WE also sponsors players and teams for StarCraft II and DotA.

Another post is simply: “ADAS” which seems to relate to “AD/AS” meaning “Attack Damage” and “Attack Speed” – in an LoL context. https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/tips-tricks/0yAw42AE-understanding-adas-etc

10 Likes

The world is wonderful! Great explanation @SachielMF and it certainly gave another perspective to think about :slight_smile:

Master worldbuilder… hmm it fits pretty good Bruno :smile:

3 Likes

I thought that the opposite was happening, that something that I wrote had a different meaning for them, and them they were spamming based on that
Great, now I feel bad for thinking bad about them. :neutral_face:

6 Likes

233, no worries. I mean, it does look like a lot of gibberish. And “666” of all numbers being used as something completely opposite does indeed seem strange for people from countries with a christian background.

2 Likes

Uh… as my opinion, those are just meaningless messages… :disappointed_relieved:
The culture in Taiwan and China may go different.
Summon @law and @Iviaca !

2 Likes

Most of it does seem to be LoL related, though. I mean, it’s Riot after all. See my edits for possible explanations.

3 Likes

as what @SachielMF said,

233 (no matter how many 3 follows) is quite similar to lol :rofl: ,
666 (no matter how many 6 follows) means incredible, awesome :+1:, 6 (六) reads the same as Chinese character 溜 (which means awesome), you may google it and listen to the pronunciation

I know that 666 means something bad in your culture but they don’t, so allow me to make apology for their potential offence. And please try to understand them when you saw them next time, cuz they’re not mean after all.

and as to those sending random numbers… well I also don’t know why they do so…

5 Likes

No problem. I just mistaken them by trolls, had no idea number were used in such creative way there. The 666 doesn’t bother me as I’m not religious and I guess not even those who are care much about it.
Thanks for the help guys.

4 Likes