Alternate Planes - How should they work?

They’ve said that most of what’s though of as the game is made with lua so that should include things like physical constants, terrain generators, resource distribution, seasonal variation, species biome management and whatnot. Stuff like passive bonuses for being in a plane also shouldn’t be too hard, really the hardest thing I’ve seen to do so far would probably be walking on water but that could probably be faked with psuedo-boats/water if required.

What I think would be cool though is the ability to create like bubble of other planes, so like you’ll get a bunch of mages together and then cast some massive ritual and then there will be a bubble of land swapped with the plane of eternal spring for example so that it’s always spring inside it. You could use that from everything from farming to crafting to combat, swap out the area where the enemies for the magma plane and suddenly they might find themselves surrounded in lava, or in the plane of death swap out an area for the normal plane to give you a safezone as it were, of course then you’d have an area for the plane of death in the normal world but you can’t have everything. Might be hard to implement though but as it’s basically just an area modifier it should be possible.

1 Like

I think that Underground Mining can be treated as a separate Plane of Minerals complete with caverns and underground rivers, Flora and Fauna.

Alternate Planes can be anything we want. Like maybe an Alternate Planes that sends you into the far future or the far past. But really I just want to send people into the 1980’s version of SH. I think it would be fun. I already sent one into the 80’s. Don’t believe will look at this.

1 Like

I was stewing over this exact topic during work today (yes, I’m already mildly obsessed about a game I cannot play for months), and was pleased to find a thread already started with several excellent ideas, some even close to my own. I’ve watched through all of the live stream records, and have found Tom’s (at least think I’ve got the right brother) insistence that the focus of the game should center around city building, intriguing since this concept is nearly entirely centered around exploration. So here are a few of my thoughts around how this may be implemented that stays true to the heart of the game, could be relatively simple to implement, and a means of engaging those who are interested most in the concept without having it be a continual spawn and grind fest for the best of materials, etc.

Origins of my Inspiration:

I drew my inspiration from similar portal type games and television shows. The Ultima series, of course, with a mysterious portal spawning ‘randomly’ in the back yard, Stargate with the many “similar but different” worlds on the other end of a wormhole, and quantum leap (dating myself a bit) with slipping between alternate realities, etc. I digress… on to the subject at hand.

The Discovery:

I believe Tom at one point mentioned something regarding being able to manually spawn the portals to the alternate universe as a possibility. I find this to be counter-intuitive to how other ‘modules’ in the game either come to you - via a DM driven encounter - or something that you stumble upon during your city growth and exploration. Though I’m not opposed to a 'spawn my own adventure’ type of game play, I find the choice of whether to participate in a somewhat random event to be so much more intriguing.

Option 1: The random spawning portal - I think this personally comes with more cons than pros. For instance: how does the AI select where and when to spawn the portal. Firstly, does the portal accidentally spawn in your city with poor Mer Burlyhands accidentally stumbling through it to his own demise (or monsters spewing forth from the hell-mouth itself), or alternatively emerging too far away from your town (or even sight) to have enough time to sally forth an appropriately sized expedition. The when part, though I know could be managed by the DM AI, would have to be based on some algorithm that tests your ‘town readiness’ or may otherwise spawn too early and the eager adventurer, leaving an awkward choice of stumbling into a magma filled land with wooden swords.

Option 2: The Runestone – (credit @TobiasSabathius for his Norse renderings) This in concept being somewhat similar to the moonstones in the Ultima series, which only work during appropriate times of the ‘year’. Runestones could be ‘leveled’ for difficulty based on how they are located – i.e. acquired via purchase from the rabbit faction during trade, found via successful raid modules, acquired from a successfully slain Titan, or even located within another plane. Once acquired, runestones must be placed (whether inside your town, or at a safe distance). Once in the ground, the portal has a designated spawn point within your plane, and would spawn a portal at the appropriate time. For preparation, the runestone could begin to glow several days in advance to give time to prepare an appropriate party to venture forth into the unknown.

Plane Functionality:

Personally, I’m inclined to think that both planes should co-exist at the same time. Whether I choose to send my entire army across the world to a separate continent, or a few choice adventurers through a portal to another plane – my city must live with the consequences of a potential evil DM that was just waiting for me to lessen my defenses. Every choice comes with a potential price. With that, I’ve thought of two ways that I can see the planes themselves working.

Option 1: The Timer – As with whatever planetary cycle causes the portal to open, after a period of time, the portal must also close. If I do not leave with my townsfolk in time – they’re likely to meet a very precarious fate. The benefit of such a concept is that whatever world is on the other side of the portal can be static – and if I do not complete what I set out to do – all the supplies and things I left behind are still within the world. This would accommodate both the zerg like mentality of some gamers, and the slow and methodical approach of others. The runestone would simply just continue to open to the same plane so long as it was placed, and the appropriate ‘time’ occurred.

Option 2: The Other Exit – I see this as being a bit more in line with the D&D style module. You can either flee via where you came in (if the portal doesn’t close behind you of course), or progress to the opposite end of the plane where there are spoils and rewards to be taken through the “winners exit”. This option is definitely less ‘random exploration’ than the first option, but has a much more structured path to what can be accomplished in each plane.
I haven’t really decided which option I’m more inclined to at this point, I feel both have their merits.

The Planes Themselves

I had a few ideas regarding this, and there have been several similar mentions listed above. However, the 3 I’ll mention I feel would be fairly quick and easy to implement, due to their close proximity in design to ‘the normal plane’.

Plane 1: Darkness – may require a new graphic for the trees (the trees are old, but the leaves are gone), but would provide a mysterious and creepy land filled with treasures if you can just see far enough to find them. Implementation would require it’s potential own AI, maybe tweaks to the pathfinder, and someone to turn off the lights. I’d hate to stumble, meager torch in hand, into the very large foot of Cthulu.

Plane 2: Thickness – Everything moves twice as slow. From an implementation side, the speed of movement and animation would just need to be slowed. A potential haze (or liquidity) to the environment could be introduced to give the impression of a denser atmosphere. This would definitely be a dangerous plane to visit if the Portals closed on a timer – make sure you give yourself enough time to get back through with your treasures.

Plane 3: Bigness – Tom made it seem rather easy to change the size and scale of the models. Who needs Cthulu when you can be squashed by giant rabbits? Though the risks are larger – so are the mineral deposits. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if the tree was freaking huge?

Of course if you plant the runestone and choose not to enter – there’s no telling what might come through looking to explore your world. That may be a good deterrent from placing them in the heart of your town. Anyhow, just wanted to share my thoughts on this, and continue the dialogue here. Just glad I’m not the only one curious as to how this will work.

Here is my suggestion for a plane:

Sky Plane

In this plane, there are hundreds if not thousands of large islands floating in the sky, thousands of feet above the surface of the world. The islands have many different biomes ranging from forest to volcanic wasteland. The islands slowly move over time, making it hard to keep track of all the islands you spot. Also, some of these islands have temples, ruins, tombs, dungeons, tresure caves, etc. There are many hidden and fun things in this plane, such as rope bridges. Many of the islands are populated by unique creatures. There are also many hidden things and secrets in this plane.

I think it would be cool to have alternate dimensions with new resources, plants, and mobs.

Moved you over here @Void_Justice - as you can see, alternate planes was a kickstarter stretch goal so we can expect to see it.