Writer’s Workshop Discussion. Cycle 1, Week 2 - The story of Mer Burlyhands

If you want to submit your stories then please head on over here.

This thread is for the discussion of everything related to this weeks theme and submitted stories. Be it a critique, suggestion, or just general chat about your favorite submission.

Also feel free to post other stories you were thinking of submitting or other ideas you had around this weeks theme.

Oh, I didn’t even notice I’d missed Week 1. Well… I’ll see what I can whip up.

I moved a post to an existing topic: Writer’s Workshop Discussion. Cycle 1, Week 2 - The story of Mer Burlyhands

The pattern for a limerick is actually:

A
A
B
B
A

Not:

A
A
A
B
B
A

But I love it nonetheless!

@TUGenius Hm… you are right. I should have checked before. Old man with bad memory :angry:. Now I will leave it like that… let’s call it “Stonerick” :wink:.

its ok, the topic was rather difficult… but feel free to read the entries, and get cracking on this weeks theme… :smile:

@SteveAdamo Is it possible to win more than once? I wouldn’t want to take a spot in the finals from someone else, that’d be no fun. Plus we get these super awesome titles!!! (By far the best part about this competition :blush:) So no sense in me getting it twice. Of course this could all be a non factor, we could easily end up with some super awesome entry’s that just blow my attempt at this week straight out of the water :tongue:.

1 Like

absolutely… :smiley:

we can always work it such that should a previous winner also win a subsequent round in a given month, that the next entrant in line would be considered for the finals…

so, you and @PDanford are in the running for the finals… should you enter again, and you and someone else get the top two votes once more, we would probably just award the round to the 3rd place entry in your place…

you would still be in the finals, from your previous round winning, and we would have two new participants as well… make sense? :smile:

indeed! i dont think ive posted these yet… here’s the full range of titles for the writer’s workshop competition… note, i have purposely not listed the requirements to for achieving these titles… :wink:

• Wondrous Wordsmith
  • Literary Laureate
  • Passionate Penman
  • Aspiring Author
  • Stonehearth Scribe

edit: just read your piece… well done my friend… very well done! and im not just saying that because of the very subtle, but effective inclusion of my nick… :smile:

Haha, I’m so glad you caught it! I dropped a few easter egg kinda things in my last story and no one mentioned em, so I’m not sure if they were too subtle or not…they just kinda happen when I’m writing. It wasn’t till I was halfway through that sentence that it occurred to me to do :tongue:

Edit: My plan is to hopefully tie these past two into the third week, whatever that may be, we’ll see if that works out :wink:

well, it was very nicely woven in… and while i love coming up with stories, i never seem to be able to fully flesh them out, let alone interject clever bits like you’ve pulled off… :cry:

I’d love to offer you some advice or something…buuut I really don’t have much to offer, haha. I learned to write by reading and talking. Words just kinda happened for me.

My only advice would be write at random, and always have someone else critique, it is incredibly hard to see what’s wrong with you’re own work. Write something that sucks, then ask someone awesome to read it, and you’ll get better with every word they say about it. (That was probably way more than you were hoping to read, but that’s fine, hopefully someone gets helped by it :blush:)

oh no, advice is always appreciated… my own audience is pretty biased though (wife and family)… so, regardless of what i write, its always met with glowing praise… :tongue:

i’ve never been very good at short stories though… i lean more towards the novella… :smile:

still, perhaps i should take a stab at this week’s theme…

2 Likes

Go for it! What’s the worst that can happen? :wink:

I’ve actually never done short stories before this competition. I love novels, and have been working on one on and off for years now. Well seven novels actually, but that’s another story, haha.

1 Like

Not as happy with mine as I would like to be, it just didn’t flow like I wanted it to, but o’well.

thanks for the entry! i thought it worked well… if nothing else, its motivating me to get around to writing/submitting my own… :wink:

Well hope you have better luck than I did, I’d like to read when your done.

that makes two of us… :smile:

perhaps i’ll settle on one of the storylines i have rolling around, and just get it down on "paper "…

Not the best thing I’ve ever written, but I wanted to make something unique. Something that may happen to your once simple carpenter when your civilization surpassed the need for the likes of him, but needs the likes of heroes to defend it.

1 Like

umm… wow… to capture so much tension, and convey so much in so little text is truly impressive…

i actually found myself wanting to know more about the battle… to see Mer take on the titan! :clap:

There is no emote here to express the awe on my face. :cookie: For your efforts.