Writer’s Workshop Discussion. Cycle 3, Week 3

If you want to submit your stories then please head on over here.

This thread is for the discussion of everything related to this weeks theme and submitted stories. Be it a critique, suggestion, or just general chat about your favorite submission.

Also feel free to post other stories you were thinking of submitting or other ideas you had around this weeks theme. If you have new ideas for competition themes, you can submit those right here.

I wish I could still write. But alas I don’t have the patience for it.

i’ve learned quite a bit over the last few weeks… i’ve always been an avid reader, and always enjoyed thinking of stories of my own, and written a few that i’ve kept among family and friends…

but i’ve never “published” this much of my own work before… its fun, but as with anything you show to the general public, having a thick skin can come in handy… :smile:

The last I wrote was about 72 pages of a alien invasion. XD

1 Like

So, for the rhyming qualification, does it only have to be a short section of your work, or prevalent in the whole thing like a Dr. Seuss work? Just wanted to confirm the minimum/maximum requirements for this week.

precisely… just a little rhyme the folks in your story might hum to themselves, or discover scrawled on a cave wall, etc.

the rhyme wont count towards the 400 word limit, and it can just be a little snippet interjected into the story… :smile:

Will compose my story as soon as i have time, My power is getting turned off on fryday from 6:00-7:30 Pm Est tomorrow, so i might not post until saterday, but i’ll probbobly get it done today/tonight and get it up before to long.

1 Like

@Smith… well done… i think that was your best submission by far…

your writing has improved quite a bit since your first submission! :+1:

You’ve said that every time, i don’t think it’s a good think, becuase it’s the same think my art teacher says whenever i turn in a project.[quote=“SteveAdamo, post:9, topic:3021”]
i think that was your best submission by far.
[/quote]

Let’s just end the week early, there is no real point to leaving it open past now, huh? what da ya say?

My whatever that was started out with being told by butter churners, i since decided that no, there are no steam powered butter makers, that’d be stupid, i instead turned Lauk into a fireman and biulder, and I think i did a good job of conveying that through this and the last 2 weeks stories…

im trying to be encouraging! :smile:

i honestly do think you have improved though… and with that, im off to bed ladies and gentlemen…

:sleeping:

Question: Is it alright if we use several sets of couplets throughout the story, rather than one body of rhyming material?

sure, that seems perfectly reasonable to me… :wink:

edit: come on folks… we’ve only had one entry! let’s get those neurons firin’!

Story’s done, but the picture’s yet to come!

Sorry, I wanted to post the story since it was completed, but I’ll have to post my illustration later, if that’s okay. I’m itching to try another pencil and paper sketch, I haven’t got to seriously do this in ages (re-inspiring writing and drawing for me, @SteveAdamo? I’m really enjoying myself with this weekly contest! Thanks very much!)

The rhyming couplets bumped up the word count a little more than I would have liked, so I’ll leave it to all of you regarding whether you feel it should be slimmed a bit more.

In random facts, the name “Amami” I used for the bunny-folk elder comes from the Amami rabbit, an uncommon species in the Japanese archipelago considered a “living fossil;” naturally, the idea of an elder sounded perfect. (looking back, that seems a bit harsh.)

I’m looking forward to the other entries!

absolutely… you can make edits to existing entries up until the closing bell! :smile:

and i quite liked the story so far… interesting use of the rhyming requirement… :+1:

1 Like

No no no, leave them stagnant, i’d love to win by default!

I’ve liked myself into last place :cry:

1 Like

reminder: submissions are open for another day, and voting will continue through thursday…

we’re working on the list of goodies on tap for the contestants, and should hopefully have that soon…

Sorry, but I’m probably not going to be able to make another illustration this time around–lots of German homework, plus I need to get my music performance and research materials organized. Maybe next time, if anyone’s interested.

Also, is it me, or has this week been really slow for the writing group? I thought everyone would go crazy with the alternate planes’ “wildcard” story capacity.

as did i… :smile:

but i suppose im not one to criticize, as i havent written my entry yet either…

bah, do as i say people! not as i do! :blush:

No! don’t bother posting stories! Just like mine!

As usual I took my sweet time. Enjoy the piece :smile:

Oh and maybe you can guess what plane it is :grin:

2 Likes