(WIP) The Arcane Expansion: Wizards n' Stuff

Quite the undertaking, I wish you all the best and coffee you can find.

2 Likes

your modelling style is fantastic and I’m totally jealous of it :heart_eyes:

1 Like

i hope your not going completely avatar on this?

i honestly know nothing about avatar, so for all i know i could be :sweat_smile:

mind telling me in what way i’m “going avatar” ?

Probably because you split the mages into elemental classes…

Anyways, this is looking like a massive project, but one that will be increadibly amaing ones implemeted. Also I believe it might solve the issue of rayas children being so weak in the early game. Keep it up!

I am really excited about this mod. Looking forward to a first playable testing version.
I’d love to help you with a little coding stuff, since I’m programmer :smiley: But sadly I’ve never used Lua or even looked into the Stonehearth code… :sweat:

like reedo is saying. Avatar has the 4 basic elements, each with there own wardrope. As long as there is not a grand wizard who can do it all, your safe :slight_smile:

in some ways you can’t really claim that as an avatar thing, lots of fantasy stuff does it that way… as for why i did it that way,

in my universe, acolytes always wear hoods, mages wear light head gear like crowns, and wizards wear, well, wizard hats. when you first start learning magic you become an acolyte, from their you can branch off to wizardhood or magehood, wizards focusing more on damage and mages focusing on support.

originally i was going to have all off them just being wizards, but then i decided to make them all different so you could tell them apart by more than just color, and so that they weren’t all the same wizard just with different colors.

the elements easily could have been swapped around here, i just felt that earth (forest earth, not stone, btw) worked best as a neutral/starter element. fire makes sense as DPS because if you get lit on fire, your going to be in a lot of pain quickly. and ice makes sense for support because the cold doesn’t have immediate damage.

well thanks for the offer :smile: most of the code is done in .json actually, easily moddable. however i’m pretty sure i’m going to be delving into a bit (or a lot) of lua for this project…

1 Like

Well back in 76 when I got the red box set, I had elemental wizards so I think you stole the idea from me. LOL

Just some thoughts and opinions on my part as I know each person has their own definition and understanding of the matter. (yes matter is a pun as well)
Elemental magic is old very old, the concept goes back into the dawn of humanity’s attempt to understand the meaning of the physical world in which we dwell.

Magic is a word, a word to explain things that occur that can not be understood with ones current understanding of the world. To describe things that violate what we consider fundamental laws of nature.

Controlling the aspect of the elements meant life and death to the early tribes of mankind.
Fire: Such as producing fire to keep warm, cook food, light the night and to burn out your enemies.
Water: Finding water for daily substance, using it in distillery or cooking, controlling its flow to irrigate crops.
Earth: Mastering the earth to shape adobe or sod structures, ramparts for protection, treating it to increase crop yields, extracting metal and minerals to create objects of utility beauty, or war. .
Air: Only a few minutes without it and we die. Air also brings the rains for crops, fans the flames of our forges, obscure our vision with fog.

The four elements was the fundamental stepping stone on our journey to understand atoms and molecules. Those that could control or understand the elements were regarded as special, different, and essential. They were also to be feared, because with knowledge and understanding come power.

I imagine that elemental magic was first conceived when one of our ancient ancestors first wished to be able to just, create fire to stave off the cold, having the ability to find water that was underground, move the heavy rocks blocking their way, or bringing the cloud that held the rain needed for their crops.

2 Likes

I agree. Avatar definitely didn’t invent elemental magic and hundreds, if not thousands of stories were written about elemental magic, so I don’t see an issue with it either.

3 Likes

I was(on hold ATM) working on a mod to add mages and I have implemented a system that checks for projectile models based on the weapon used rather than it being forced as arrows, I can provide you with that code if you’d like an idea of how to do that?

2 Likes

that would be great :smile: feel free to send me a download link in PM, or even just in this thread if you want.

So this Is more like a druid (referencing the D&D one)?
edited: with a focus on trees, animals and soil

1 Like

i can’t think of a better comparison, so i’ll just say yes :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmmm

Fire Water Air Earth

update time!

the Arcane Researcher:

the outfit still needs a bit more work

the arcane researcher, often referred to just as “the researcher”, is a crafting class that does things like making the staffs for the wizards, enchanting armor and weapons, identifying pieces of ancient armor, and more. Their talisman will be crafted by the potter.

Mod progress:

I haven’t got the wizards in-game yet (hence why i’m showing the researchers now), and probably won’t until next week as some of my family is visiting for the weekend. so… yeah… Sorry I don’t have much to show, I wish I had a good reason for having not gotten them in-game yet, but I don’t…. my only reason is minecraft FTB >_<

and one last thing, be brutally honest with me, what do you guys think of this staff for the ice mage,

I’m happy with the other staffs (to be revealed) but I’m not so sure about this one, it’s supposed to look sort of like a snowflake…

That’s it for this update. again, sorry I don’t have any progress to show, hopefully I’ll be more productive next week….

7 Likes

The staff fits in perfect, maybe a base on the bottom using the same colour on the top?
Something like this

1 Like

trust me, that kind of look will happen… but this is just the little level 1 staff :wink:

2 Likes

I thought it would be more like a mid-level staff/wand. I’d say make something more plain for the low levels, e.g. for all wizards level 1 a base staff/wand/rod which has just a different color coding and the more experienced a wizard gets (higher level) the fancier these tools get and they reflect more and more the element the wizard is attuned to.

1 Like

that’s actually a good idea, thanks for the suggestion! i’ll definitely be looking into making a basic staff that only changes in color for the level 1 staffs.