What's your best player survival tip? Help us with the new website!

Fights are almost only about the numbers of footmen and their gear so far, so to handle all implemented hostiles so far keep a stockpile of practice swords and some gear.

Assuming you have the promotion items, you can easily switch from other jobs to footmen whenever a fight occur. Never fight with a numerical disadvantage. Add some nearby gear as well and permanent footmen are unnecessary.

Just remember that changing jobs resets leveling progress, so don’t change people close to level up for higher levels (3+).

well this is eventually going to be implemented other then just the N key, so perhaps not the best tip :wink:

While footmen are nice to have around, don’t underestimate the power of a militia - carpenters and trappers are pretty nicely armed.

2 Likes

@SaintInix

I can’t believe I didn’t know about this key yet. That explains my failed experiment. Please excuse me while I bang my head on the desk…

1 Like

Sorry for being lazy, this week was really tough at work…So I’ll just toss this here, and credits to whoever wrote it:
http://stonehearth.gamepedia.com/Getting_started

2 Likes

Be sure to check your starting hearthlings character sheets. Some of them will be better suited for jobs than others, allowing you to maximize your chances for success.

4 Likes

Do you happen to know which stats are better for certain jobs?

i know that courage and hp are crucial for footmen, and i think mind helps crafters have a better chance of making “fine” furniture

3 Likes

The best survival tip I have, and have been nudged to share with you all by @8BitCrab, is that when your footmen are refusing to fight something, turn on defense mode for a little extra punch of courage to fight. Your hearthlings will come help too, yes, but your footmen just might stop running around like girly men and fight like barbarians.

6 Likes

Keep your civilians in a party with the blue flag in your town, this can save wayward villagers as toggling town defense will recall your civilians to your town, also good to use if you want to stop a villager from going to gather that distant object as the sun sets.

4 Likes

As I was not party (hah!) to the original design of the party system, I feel it would be fair to submit this experience-earned knowledge: With the current party system, I put all my footmen in one party (attack), and all my other people in another party (defend). I assign the defend party a blue-flag location in a defensible place (a cave, the inside of a house, etc) so that when invaders are sighted and I hit R/Town Defense, they all go to that location from wherever they are in the map. Hearthlings prioritize party commands over everything else, so I can be sure they won’t be caught alone and vunerable wherever they are. If monsters DO get to them, then hopefully they can gang up on them. Then, I gauge the direction of the threat, and put the attack party’s red flag down somewhere between the defend party and the advancing threat. This means that wherever my footmen are, and whoever they happen to be fighting, they run to the red banner and regroup. This means the threat hits the footmen before the workers, and it also prevents my footmen from being picked off one-by-one. Since a high body stat means high speed, usually, the footmen can get there before the enemies do. If the fighting gets really bad, I turn off town defense mode, so that people can run away and maybe regain health before hitting town defense again to pull them back into formation.

Finally, I have to remember to add/remove people between the parties when I get/promote new citizens.

12 Likes

[quote=“sdee, post:31, topic:12512, full:true”]
As I was not party (hah!) to the original design of the party system, I feel it would be fair to submit this experience-earned knowledge: With the current party system, I put all my footmen in one party (attack), and all my other people in another party (defend). I assign the defend party a blue-flag location in a defensible place (a cave, the inside of a house, etc) so that when invaders are sighted and I hit R/Town Defense, they all go to that location from wherever they are in the map. Hearthlings prioritize party commands over everything else, so I can be sure they won’t be caught alone and vunerable wherever they are. If monsters DO get to them, then hopefully they can gang up on them. Then, I gauge the direction of the threat, and put the attack party’s red flag down somewhere between the defend party and the advancing threat. This means that wherever my footmen are, and whoever they happen to be fighting, they run to the red banner and regroup. This means the threat hits the footmen before the workers, and it also prevents my footmen from being picked off one-by-one. Since a high body stat means high speed, usually, the footmen can get there before the enemies do. If the fighting gets really bad, I turn off town defense mode, so that people can run away and maybe regain health before hitting town defense again to pull them back into formation.

Finally, I have to remember to add/remove people between the parties when I get/promote new citizens.
[/quote] … i guess its not quite a book… :wink:

4 Likes

I have it on good authority that books are 60,000+ words. :wink: But here’s a shortened version:

Put all your townsfolk in one party. Use the blue shield to pick a defensible rally point for that party. When your town is attacked, hit R/Town defense to send all your townsfolk to that defensible location.

Put all your footmen in a second party. When your town is attacked, use that 2nd party’s red sword button/red flag to put your footmen between your defensible location and the enemy threat.

11 Likes

Have 20 mean beds in your stockpile at all times. If a carvan arrives, selling all of will get you crazy rich!

Though not as rich as 20 wooden shields or stone mauls. (I wish they’d use a formula to balance out those prices.)

3 Likes

FYI, we’re nerfing the sell value on wooden shields. Stone mauls seem OK to me, though, at 32.

4 Likes

If a Stone maul (fairly easily craftable in the first five minutes of play) is OK at 32, why is a silver ingot (much harder to obtain) less than that (IIRC, it’s 20)?

Edit: Sorry for derailing the thread. This discussion should probably continue here, or maybe somewhere else.

3 Likes

I wanted to ask about this. Why would you make it 10x10 when 11x11 is as big as you can go (so it is super easy to drag out on the map) and more efficiently produces food?

1 Like

I believe 10x10 and 11x11 give the same number of food plots, it takes less time for the farmers to farm the land initially, and it saves a bit of space that can be used for roads, fences, etc.

11x11 should give you 1 more plot

3 Likes