Way to prevent citizens from getting stuck inside unfinished building?

I started this as a bug report, but I guess it was more of a suggestion so I decided to place it there instead later on. That’s why it still has the bug report structure.

Title:
Worker got stuck in building

Summary:
After unfortunately spending the night inside the half-completed building she was working on, dear Elena Framer seems to have gotten stuck inside, behind the scaffolding. There is plenty to be done for her, so I assume this is the reason she’s standing still. She is not frozen, as she is animating/idling. Some time later, she was out of the building and the scaffolding was gone. I assume she left when the scaffolding got taken down.

Steps to reproduce:
Well, a bit tricky. Try to get a worker stuck inside a building. Might be easier to manage on a trapper. So:

• Start constructing a building
  • Have a trapper stand inside the structure
  • Once the walls are up and the door is blocked by scaffolding, attempt to move the trapper out

Expected results:
The citizen would find his or her way out of the building, perhaps clambering through the scaffolding, which would be cute.

Attachments:
Screenshot of poor Elena behind the scaffolding.

Versions and mods:
No mods, latest release version in Steam at the time of writing, version 0.1.0 (release 92) according to the title screen.

System information:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX-version: DirectX 11
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Probably a suggestion because a citizen being able to move through scaffolding when otherwise he or she would be stuck inside a building might be more of a feature than a bug fix. Especially if the abovementioned clambering animation were to be implemented :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah, I had the same problem. All of my farmers and most of my workers were stuck in the building but the only worker left outside went to sleep instead xD

edit: Also I think that it could be fixed easily if they did the clambering animation or just made scaffolding climbable on both sides

2 Likes

Right, well, I rather like that they’re able to climb up the scaffolding only at one point (although it would be nice if that was visually indicated with perhaps a makeshift ladder or something) but there could perhaps be a similar climbing point up on the other side, accessible via the door. Of course, the clambering animation would be cooler (but more work as well, I imagine).

2 Likes

It’s kirby! Yaaaaaaay! :smiley:

1 Like

Adorable right? :heart:

1 Like

A clambering animation would be awesome, but I’m sure this is probably just a bit of a bug at the moment that they needs resolving?

The time taken to do a clambering animation, whilst awesome, might be put to better use just simply resolving this issue in another way? Unless of course the clambering animation was put to use elsewhere.

3 Likes

perhaps treating the scaffolding like a diode and enabling the workers to be able to walk through but only from inside out, not outside in. Would prevent workers from getting stuck

1 Like

Man, I cannot get that distinction right!

Yeah, I wasn’t really serious about the clambering animation :slight_smile:

1 Like

I seemed to be getting this problem–looks like you already mentioned it, @Phagocytosis.

One thing I was wondering might be possible is if the scaffolding in front of any doorways put into the building plan might be open to pass through, like real-world construction is (access points are important!)

As for structures without a door (for some reason), I like the ideas of either being able to climb scaffold from the inside somehow or being able to pass out of the structure, like @jollins mentioned.

Sorry for bringing this thread back (seeing the last post being from May…), but I was curious as to what progress or solutions were being considered to the game.