Villagers getting lost, idling when too far from town

Made myself a nice little town, found a huge iron deposit nearby so i mined it all out, but didn’t have the coal to turn it into steel.
Saw a nice coal vein up a few levels on a mountain, so i told my workers to get some ladders up and get mining.
Right away they all got to work clearing out the rock and ore, but when there were finished they just… stood there.
Now they are all hungry and tired, but will not head back to my town to get food or use beds.
I have 13 villagers now standing in the mine i made with ore all around them but they will not move.

(Finally got them back. Had to change all their classes to force them to come back, but my ore is still up in the mine and if I tell my workers to collect it, they get stuck again.)

1 Like

This is very likely to be related to pathing issues. Currently, needing to find a moderately long path back to town can cause the pathing algorithm to time out. There is a new algorithm that will probably arrive in alpha 12 that reduces the time to calculate long paths drastically.

1 Like

I’m having a similar issue. Mining far from town and villagers idling. If I pause, then unpause, they start working again for about 5 seconds before just standing there.