Arquebusiers (Class)

I think he meant magic was a typical role-playing element.

Physicians believed in humorism, a defunct theory that often times ending up killing their patients or being completely ineffective. They did do some things right, but in the end, going to the doctor was almost as bad as not.

No, he already said that about magic. He was definitely talking about doctors and engineers.

Dungeons and dragons.

I can name a game that doesn’t have doctors and engineers. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. I’ve never seen one doctor, but I’ve seen multiple “healers” who rely on magic. Nor have I seen any engineers, only what they leave behind.

I think we should have an Organ Gun Ribauldequin - Wikipedia instead of some rotary arrangement. It would be pushed around on a little cart and manned by several crew men. They would of course, be super vulnerable if anything got to them, slow, and EXPENSIVE, but they would also be brutally destructive to anything vulnerable to normal gun fire. They’d be great as a static defense.

Picture a bunch of Goblins running up to a section of wall with some on it. The gunners leisurely point the gun at the horde, and BAM! A lot of them just cease to exist.

We could also have Muskets and Arquebusses that were on the large side, and required a support. It would further require relative immobility while firing, but they would be righteous if you got a shot or volley off. But you’d need other dudes to screen your guys with their primitive, silly guns.

We could also have something before that, your “Hand Cannon” style things. Maybe that would be your first personal firearms. You could also say, get primitive cannons before man portable things. They’d be kind of awkward to use, but be devastating to anything you could actually hit.

I for one think it would be funny to have an Eastern European style primitive cannon. Some of those were actually Hardwood, and reinforced with iron bands. They tended to fire rocks. As much as anything, they were intimidating. They were also cheap. Still, if you got hit by a rock the size of a softball travelling at or above the speed of sound… Well that does do damage. Mostly though, the noise and smoke scared bandits and raiders, and especially their horses. Horses HATED the things.

HOLY CRAP. IT’S FANTASY. And besides, if you’ve got this many problems with the game, you can pay $5000 dollars and tell them not to do it. Go ahead.

What are you talking about?

I’m just saying not everything in the game is historically correct, and that firearms are more historically correct than engineers and doctors (that actually do a decent job).

Firstly, you did not ‘go to the doctor’ in this time. If you were rich, the doctor came to you and if you weren’t you would use botanical remedies passed down to you through generations. Secondly, it is incorrect to think of Galenic humorism as a belief. To the practising physicians of the time, it was not something that you could choose to believe in, but truth. To question Galen would be to question Hippocrates, or worse God himself. To view the ‘physicians’ of the time as ‘not doing their job’ is ignorant and Whiggish. History needs to be understood in the context of the time, in the ‘Middle Ages’ there were ‘doctors’ and they did their job correctly and decently.

Now, ending the history of science lecture, they have stated the game is inspired by realism, not based upon it. At no point have they claimed that the game will be historically accurate, and they’re not offering a historical simulator.

1 Like

It’s a fantasy game, though, and that doesn’t mean “derived from history”.

Odds are, if there are dwarves, then it isn’t supposed to be Middle Ages Earth. It’s an alternate plane, and that means that history doesn’t have to apply whatsoever.

When I said “going to the doctor”, I did not mean “going to the clinic”, I meant going to him for help.

Secondly, religious beliefs are called beliefs, though they aren’t something you can choose to believe in. You have to be convinced. Should we start calling those “religious truths” instead?

Thirdly, physicians didn’t even realize what infection came from. They thought draining your blood would help you for some cases. And the list goes on. Doctors had the potential to be almost as dangerous (or more so) than the disease you needed help with, even when they thought they were doing good.

So no, they did not do their job well, because they were ignorant and unaware of how disease really worked. That’s like a blacksmith trying to make a pickaxe to cut meat, or a knife to break rock. Will it work in some cases? Perhaps, but poorly. Will it end up causing problems? Definitely.

The Warcraft universe has guns, and it’s fantasy.

I hate it when people bombard me with the two exact same arguments.

A. It’s not medieval!

When I inform them that it indeed is medieval, others go on to say:

B. It’s fantasy, not based on history!

The kind of argument that defeats itself.

My point was, you are appraising the abilities and knowledge of medicine during the ‘middle ages’ from your 21st century understanding. Comparative to today’s standards, of course they didn’t do a good job. But you shouldn’t be comparing the abilities and practices of a modern doctor with that of a doctor during the middle ages.

And correct me if I’m wrong, but religious beliefs are religious truths for those who are religious.

Anyway, this is far too off topic.

Not from a 21st century understanding, but one of gameplay. A historically accurate medieval physician would be absolutely worthless in a game like Stonehearth.

You’re right, we got a bit carried away with that argument, back to the gameplay.

I understand what you’re saying, but then the game isn’t trying to be historically accurate? I mean they’ve said in a few instances that certain elements are inspired by reality, but not limited to it.

The whole “historically accurate” argument I keep putting up isn’t because I completely agree with it (I don’t think there should be machine guns or the like, though), it’s because there are people out there who will attack the idea just because it’s not “medieval” enough.

I try to counter that, and now people are riding my ass because it’s a Fantasy RPG.

as @Geoffers747 has been attempting, let’s simply get back on track, and focus on the topic at hand… if you feel as though you were unfairly treated earlier in the thread, it may have something to do with the manner in which you express your opinions…

you certainly seem like a highly intelligent guy, but you come off a bit rough around the edges at times… im only saying this as all opinions are valid, and i would hate for someone to be dismissed outright, simply because they have an odd way of expressing themselves…

let’s all just focus on having good, healthy conversations, and see where that takes us… :+1:

And i’m coming back to the point of stonehearth,
you can make this into a module.
Or just make this a full game mod.

-pixel

Okay, let’s make EVERYTHING into a module. Settlers? Nah, just put them in a module!

I think @pixelfreak is saying that he doesn’t feel this class should be a class found in the core game, that’s fine, that’s his opinion.

He is then suggesting that the beauty of SH is that if you want this, you will be able to do that.

I think ultimately this boils down to what you feel should be in the core game.

Something like settlers are obviously integral to the game, of course he’s not saying that ultimately everything should be a mod or module.

1 Like