RP and RepeatPan's mods

Correct, RP was to be phased out by Jelly, which never really happened due to a lack of interest and lack of activity in the modding community as a whole. There’s no point in developing a library if you’re the only consumer.

There are many changes that certainly break RP, starting with the new GUI and some event changes to my knowledge. Not many drastic changes and some could certainly be adjusted for, but it’s not worth the effort.

i really want this mod, but it doesn’t seem to work in the alpha 3 and 4, it just says it’s loading the mods, but after an hour it’s still at the exact same point, can you help me with this please?

Yes. It doesn’t work as it’s outdated.The first post kinda states it, this was built with Alpha 1 in mind - the last release was on February 14th. RP, which all these mods base on, doesn’t exist anymore.

The last version that this thing ran on was Build 80. Don’t ask me which Alpha that was, though, I would guess 1 or 2. Probably 1.

1 Like

could you make it work for alpha 4 please?

Could, probably. Will, no, for reasons three posts above.

In the end, it doesn’t make sense for me to develop anything that nobody uses. RP died that way, Jelly too. ShPad is on its way there.

I think it’s just too early for that stuff. Once it’s in Beta and more people have access to it, then having a solid modding platform etc ready to use would be great. But at the moment… well, the impression I get is that most mod work being done ATM is in the art department, and people are waiting for things to settle down / become easier / complex-ify before coding.

1 Like

The thing is, there isn’t much that would needs to be changed. It’s a few renames here, a few API changes there - in the end, it’s nothing ground breaking. Updating it to the current alpha could take less than an hour, except the GUI stuff which might be a bit messier.

The thing is, RP was developed in a completely different age - back when the only content that could be loaded with .smod was new models and graphics. The whole mod loading process is nowadays (mostly) useless.

Jelly was to be a more focus driven project to provide useful, more stable APIs to do stuff that would appear much later in the game. The first part of that was the landscape generator, which would allow you to easily re-define how trees, debris and other things are placed.

However, people tend to go the easy route, which means “Just overwrite stonehearth entities”. This is a horrible approach that could bite them pretty badly, yet it’s the “official stable one” so that one’s taken.

In short, nobody here is really willing to do any modding beyond overwriting a few models. That’s the problem. There’s a decent lack of players that would go the extra mile to create new, dynamic content. The whole community is just waiting for the “official modding API” which, in my humble estimate, we won’t see this year.

I expect you’re right on that point. And yeah, I think most people are waiting for more official support, which is fair enough in my opinion.

Fair enough, but somewhat stupid. The modding API is in progress as we speak - it’s not like at some point, the source code will go poof and the old code was replaced by a shiny modding API. Radiant is using their own code to produce content as we speak - they have to, after all. If everybody just waits until the modding API is released (I don’t use the word “done”) then it’s too late to change (or add) certain things. Right now, there could be a chance to add systems - or at least prepare them - for the needs of the community.

Luckily for them, this community doesn’t seem to have any needs at all. It’s a fine pet rock.

I completely understand you are not updating your jelly and such for the reasons you state. I had my fun using RP back in the days, and still think ShPad is amazing. Which I think should be officially implemented. But the problem is relying on other people to keep them mods updated, or your whole mod will break down. Especially if you are not capable of fixing it yourself. There is a catch-22 in there. It is quite common, I would guess 90%, of content makers just abandon the project after a week or the first setback.

While there is already a massive amount of work needed to make models, animation, pictures, implementation of all these things into stonehearth, etc… that will be the safe method to go currently as it will not break down, or easily fixed. There is a lot to learn still, because we are not all that advanced like you.
And for not using the terrain generator. I pretty much did not know what mod I wanted to really make back then. But for the current mod it would be awesome to have that.

Also what would be very handy, although that should actually be provided by the devs, is that little square test island.

On the other hand I dont really know what people think the ‘modding API’ will do. I think it will make loading mods easier, enable/disable mods/scenario’s, download mods easy. I doubt it will make the modding itself easier. You still have to make the models, animate, write code, implement it in a smod file. So waiting for ‘official support’ makes little sense to me.

1 Like

True enough - if a library breaks down, all mods that are using it disappear. This is a huge issue, but I think it doesn’t quite apply here: All the code is open source - it has to be, after all. If a mod goes down, somebody else can step in and continue the project, in theory. But I do agree on that completely and I understand this very concern.

Which is still kind of a guess. I don’t think there has ever been an official statement that .qb is going to be the model format, nor that the entity definitions will stay the way there are (there has been, after all, a radical change once which made all created content invalid, or even twice. Once when they’ve changed the manifest and another where some component definition got changed if I’m not mistaken). We’re all walking on thin ice, it’s just that for some reason people believe some ice is thicker than other.

As I’ve said, there’s code around in RP (or rather its mods) which hasn’t been touched since the very first public release. To say that the modding API is “still in flux” is a mere precaution to avoid getting hopes up of people - and potentially breaking their stuff. I’ll admit that this is more likely if you don’t really know what you’re doing than when you do, which might be why it’s less of an issue to me.

For me, the modding API would be a bunch of “contracts” with Radiant. They state “Here are a bunch of lua functions that you may call, some file formats that we will accept and we promise that we do our best to keep this state for some time.” Coding-wise, it means not re-writing your mod all the time, or even at all, to keep compatibility with further versions.

What I would like to see here would be a simple Steam branching thing - Steam offers branches and games like Euro Truck Simulator 2 use these. Every time there’s a major upgrade, they create a branch that contains the “old” game. If you want to play a mod that hasn’t updated yet, you can simply switch to that branch and play.

1 Like

Lucky Worker - I don’t think it will hurt productivity at all… well for me atleast because for every world i’ve ever had the villagers with “high” strength or just good attributes in general were all female villagers

That mod was made in the very first Alpha, back in January. Back then, settlers didn’t have (visible) stats - nor did they really influence anything. :wink:

@RepeatPan Hmm fair point… but do they really influence anything now except for health and moral?

At some point, (walking) speed was influenced by size. Or was that entirely my doing? At least, the stats were all, more or less, connected to each other. But that was long ago, I’m not uptodate there.

hey Pan I know how you feel. After the last rework it broke me a little so I have taken a break from the game entirely for a while. Just cant bring myself into sinking another 30 hours to work on things that are going to quickly outdate. I get its alpha and do expect it, just got a little over excited and pushed my stuff to far. Thanks for all you do around here though, couldnt figure out half the stuff I did (like off hand weapons and helmets) without you helping me out.

1 Like

It’s not even about that, there wasn’t any update that really caused me trouble in that sense. It’s usually little work to update stuff to the new version, except for that one time they’ve had the big UI overhaul; that broke some stuff beyond repair (well, if you rely on it then it’s kinda bad if it’s gone).

Does this still work?

my guess no, since the game has changed so much

Some of it probably would, up to most of it I would guess. Lots of it would be done different by now because there there has been progress in various, similar fields.

1 Like