The Roman Mod [work in progress] last Update 20.06.2018

I would go with the statement from the developers that at some points it makes sense to focus on “fun” and “gameplay” instead of realism. Maybe all settlers in Stonehearth are rich ones… there will be not so many at the end :smile:.

1 Like

Thats true :smile: I will think about that.

I can see an initial settler being relatively rich and owning a Toga, but I can’t see him actually wearing it unless his full time job is something that doesn’t actually require doing anything vigorous. You don’t do manual labor in a Toga.
Really, you don’t even do stuff like run in one without making yourself look like a fool.

It’s like if you had to go around in a Tuxedo, except the Tuxedo took twice as long to get on properly, and you had to hold your pants up at the same time.

You can work in one, but only if that work is managerial stuff or orating. I suppose you could also write or do magic in one.

If we are going to get Aristocratic Romans who do work, they aren’t going to be dressed much different than anyone else.

Another interesting thing is that if we are doing vaguely Republican Roman, your little Aristocrats aren’t really going to be doing a huge amount of orgies. Maybe parties where they kill an animal to eat, though.

I think certain Imperial developments like decadence would be an interesting “bad effect” that you could get if you let that get too out of hand. You’d have less hard capital, and your aristocratic class would be both less troublesome, but also less useful to you. The Decadence would also involve the Emperor probably spending more than you really felt comfortable with to stay respectable.

This could develop into it’s own problem of course, because maybe instead of being sated with their lifestyles and money, your Aristocrats get GREEDY at some point (again, maybe another event) and scheme against you or just for money.

Taking the Senate down a peg would make you more directly powerful, but run it’s own risk. Certainly, the Aristocratic families not really DOING anything or producing Quality public servants would be an issue. The only ones they would produce would be Menaces to your dynasty, because they would be the only ones ambitious enough to get good at anything and play politics.

2 Likes

@Krusk The solution to your problem is kill them all, (Not the women :wink:) EVERY SINGLE LAST MAN AND CHILD UNTIL NOBODY (except the women) IS LEF!!!

steve’s edit: let’s try and keep this a family friendly place please… as this was flagged, i’ve taken the liberty of editing some of the questionable bits…

respoding to one of your older posts but just saw this and i’m a huge Roman history geek and the auxilla were really all types of infantry, cavalry, and archers(and other ranged weaponry) They were exclusively non citizens but Some cohorts fought in the roman style in close order depending on where they were from and their role to play. Overall i’m really impressed by what youve done with the voxels but while I noticed a standard you didn’t seem to have a standard bearer(Aquillifer) who of course would provide a big morale bonus. ALso if you were gonna use the soldiers leveling up route how far would you go into the structure? I assume you wouldnt use all of the 13 or so ranks of centurions but mayhaps a few like the primus pilus and then more junior centurions and even optios. Then they could become the camp prefect and possibly even rise to equestiran. Then if were saying republican perido theres 6 tribunes but they’re appoited from the equestrian order most often. If you put in legions and cohorts and maniples i will love you(Not in a homosexual way) If you have any question about roman army structure, their uses or campaigns or something i’d be happy to help.

2 Likes

Thank you for your support.
For NOW I make the mod only like a new race for the vanilla game because it’s my first mod ever and I need time to understand how all works. This means there are no new functions BUT if the mod is published the real work starts.
I decided to add more and more content after the first release for example: Roman buildings, (as you mentioned) a army system, new enemies and more.
But at first I need to focus on the main mod and this means only the vanilla game with romans :wink:

Hey guys,
here is my first version of the Carpenter. Please tell me again what you think about and tell me your opinion. :smile:

That’s it for today tomorrow I will show you my first look of the Mason.

7 Likes

Well I can dream about the day when hopefully you can make a total conversion and who knows maybe it will come ture. ANyway yeah any questions about the roman military system i’ll be happy to help. therwise really impressed b the carpenter. COuld you maybe show some of his tools to sort of put the thing in perspective?

i like him… very simple, unassuming garb… but like @Infernius said, i feel like he needs some sort of accompanying tool…

Ok I try to make some tools next week and post them then.
So here is my Mason:

So that’s it for today and tomorrow you will see my version of the Blacksmith :wink:

6 Likes

This will be a cool mod

Wait…this is what’s left without the questionable bits? Well that’s rather frightening @SteveAdamo

@Moe2212 Needs some kind of headgear I think still, to make him easy to pick out when you’re kind of surveying your city. But maybe the difference in tunic will do that job just fine, so I could be wrong . I like him regardless tho, very stonehearthian

Edited from two posts to one

It looks good, but how will the mod play out? What are some things to expect in-game?

I believe @Moe2212 already answered this here:

But if just as “skin” or a full fledged mod - I already love this mod!

1 Like

Sorry it’s a bit late but here is my Blacksmith:
He have closed shoes because I thought if someone works in a forge he need some protection against sparks.

So thats it. Next week I try to make some tool for these guys.

Moe2212

6 Likes

Wow, @Moe2212, I really like everything! The mason and blacksmith are really cool. I’m a big fan of the little tools in the mason’s belt. The carpenter’s clothing looks good, but he is a bit simple… Maybe a good thing! All in all, I’m loving this mod :smiley:

In the very first post you had a banner, and on it it said LEG, for a roman feel maybe add SPQR instead (The Senate and People of Rome) .
SPQR is a very common thing to see on everything in rome :smiley:.
Great mod idea :sunny:

Sorry guys for no Updates but I had not really much time last week. I know you guys want to see some tools but I want to test today my first building. This “Roman watchtower” will be NOT in the first release, I need time to see how buildings will work in LUA. As I have already mentioned my Mod will have addons where I bring more content in the game. For example this watchtower has no “normal” door. If soldiers want enter the tower they need a ladder so the building needs more animations than normal buildings. This ideas need time to realize. Some other ideas for the Tower are that soldiers in the tower can lift up the ladders if enemy attack so the enemys can’t get for example the archers on the top. I don’t know if the tower will be build with the vanilla building system or only with a “klick and build” system. :wink:
So here is “Watchtower 2.0” :

It will be changed during the optimization. So I hope I have more time to work on the mod the next days. :smile:

5 Likes

Nice. Looks Roman to me :smiley:. The idea with the ladder sounds a bit complicated (though interesting). Have you thought to start “small” and just add a gate which might be lockable? This way you could implement the tower maybe a bit earlier… and with time add ideas like the ladder.

I think because enemys can’t attack the guys in the tower that there will be more tower versions. So maybe the ladder version is the last version. This means that there will be maybe a lower version earlier and than I will upgrade the mod where you have more versions of the tower you can build.