Regularly scheduled review of old screenshots

Continuing the discussion from I take Photoshop requests, which significantly derailed into a discussion about the old “farmland” image:

Actually this pattern should not that hard to implement. If you look at the streets, they are mainly 4 blocks wide, with the outer blocks being lighter than the two inner ones (with some random exceptions). So for every block you could check it’s neighbors (which would be 4 if you only consider the 90° direct neighbors). Now if any of these neighbors is grass/not-a-street, you choose the “rim color” (in this case light) and mark the block internally as “rim”, otherwise you mark them as “inside”. Now if an “inside” block has at least 1 neighbor marked as “rim”, you randomly assign either the light or the dark color to it (with a sufficient low probability for only 1 rim neighbor, and a higher chance for 2 or more neighbors, to keep inside edges this way). Otherwise, an “inside” block with no “rim” neighbors always gets the inside/dark color.

Well… my gardening level is not that high, but I hear, real pumpkins actually just need lots of water to grow to massive size… But yes, for Stonehearth at least I’m hoping for something more dramatic! :smiley:

2 Likes

first off, thanks for creating a new thread :slight_smile:

that actually made a lot of sense, i’m just so tired that i couldn’t think of a way to easily do it…

gardening level… is this where video games cross over to the real world… :stuck_out_tongue:

i wouldn’t be too surprised if thats true…

everything in stonehearth, that could happen in the real world, should have a more unrealistic or mysterious reasoning :smiley:

edit:

also, about the image, i really do hope that we eventually get those deer and boars, they just look so cute!

I strongly hope so! Last summer, I was grinding some XP on this by planting some garden radishes! :stuck_out_tongue:

Good point. The mammoth kind of dominates the images as far as animals are concerned, but yes, there’s so much more to discover in the image.

3 Likes

Also interesting to see that screenshot has a well.