[Con] Memory leak when creating large farms

Bug: Appears to be a memory leak when creating large farms.

Instructions:
1.Create a large farm with multiple farmers, like 15x15 tiles.
2. Watch FPS crash during construction.
3. Repeat with a new ffarm.
4.Save and quit mid way through.
5. Reopen and watch the FPS will be higher then before saved and quit the degrade again.

2 Likes

I can confirm this. I’ve resorted to making several small farming plots. Win 8.1 for reference.

thanks for the report and confirmation… could either of you provide your graphics card and memory details?

thanks!

GTX560Ti,

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    WOMBAT-VM
System Manufacturer    System manufacturer
System Model    System Product Name
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 3703, 3/2/2012
SMBIOS Version    2.6
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name    Wombat-VM\Wombat
Time Zone    Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    7.97 GB
Available Physical Memory    3.94 GB
Total Virtual Memory    15.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory    11.4 GB
Page File Space    7.97 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

I have had this issue with my farms, but I always have two that vary in size…The game runs smooth, the farmers start working, I get huge lag spikes, and as soon as they finish, the game is back to normal…

1 Like

Title: Periodic freezing of the game (but not the camera)

Summary: Quite consistently, the game freezes periodically, such that it runs for about a second, then is frozen for about a second, each time. I doubt the problem is with my system, as everything else runs fine and I’m not running much in the background. Then again, it’s consistent for me, and I haven’t noticed others complaining about this. This bug really has to be shown with a video, which is why I originally made the below video (though it was useful in demonstrating some other, less intrusive bugs, as well). Also shown is the expanded debug tool for processes in use, though I fail to see much of a pattern. Often times it’s almost all “idle”, other times it’s “pathfinder” or mixed.

Steps to reproduce: Really not sure, I think I’ve noticed it in all my games thus far, so I guess either it just happens or it just doesn’t. In that sense, perhaps my system is to blame somehow, but it’s also possible it’s an interaction with the game that could be avoided on the programmers’ side.

Attachments:

After the first fifteen seconds of the video, I show the problem where it is most clearly seen: at the citizen about to light a fire. The camera movement starting at ±0:31 shows this aspect itself is not affected.

Versions and mods: No mods, latest release version in Steam at the time of writing, version 0.1.0 (release 99) according to the title screen.

System information:

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
  • Memory: 8192MB RAM
  • DirectX-version: DirectX 11
  • Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
1 Like

As I just posted in this thread I’m having the exact same problem. I think it’s a huge bug/lack of optimization and should be high in the priority list of bug fixes.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation, @TRJ .

In my case, I can’t confirm this. My specs are low, so when a crashing bug is approaching, my cpu goes up to 100%. (Well, at the end of initializing game too, but after that it decreases). I play always with minimum settings, and by default the game disables some of them in order to protect my computer. This means the amount of CPU used varies a lot between different users; could you say 26% of cpu is a lot compared to my +40% ? I don’t complain because I’m happy knowing I can play the game on a low-end laptop. (This doesn’t mean that the game couldn’t be optimized further, there’s this bug as example).

Concerning this bug, I don’t see the intermittent freezing. Does it happen in a new game, only after loading, or on both? Could it be related to the type of graphic card (seeing both of you have higher-end systems)?

We definitely need more confirmations to estimate the origin of this problem.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments, @Relyss. My hunch is it may be related to farming, as my new game just now (with no farming yet) had no such problem, and there’s this report of memory leaks. I meant to see if the freezing started with my farm, but then my game crashed and I gave up for the time being.

2 Likes

@Phagocytosis, I’ve checked and it’s true. This is caused by farms, so it may be directly related to the other report.
When my farmer began to plot a huge farm (no other activity at that moment), the freezings appeared. This may happen with other activities, but for the moment let’s isolate the case.
Do we merge the topics, @SteveAdamo, @Geoffers747 ?

2 Likes

I have had this same problem.

thanks @Relyss… so merge with @TRJ’s thread?

@TRJ’s thread? No, we were talking about @Wombat85’s thread, this one, as it seems to be the same issue.

Yes @Phagocytosis and @Relyss, I can also confirm that this is caused when the farmer starts to plot a big farm. Thanks for the info guys. I actually had the hunch as @Phagocytosis, but I was afraid I could be wrong.

EDIT: The game starts to run smoothly again when the farming plot is almost finished.
EDIT2: But it get freezes again when the farmers start to plant the crops.

2 Likes

ahh, right… thanks! merged and tagged… :+1:

1 Like

So I have been watching this closly in game and it seems to be a lack of optimization with the pathfinding as that is where the processing is going when farming large plots starts. This may be related to the Idle bug as well, given the report of pathfinding chewing up processing power there.

1 Like

Ah, so this was a memory leak. Didn’t see this thread at first, though, so I posted in the other one.

Sorry I didn’t get back on this sooner Steve. Nvidia GTX 750ti with beta drivers. here’s dxdiag attached
DxDiag.txt (61.7 KB)
and a vid for demo purposes

3 Likes

brilliant, thanks! :+1:

I am too having the same problem, can’t understand why though. My system may suck and that’s probably why.

DxDiag.txt (23.6 KB)