Mac/Linux version

Build a wrapper for you mac guys so you can play!

I am well aware that some individuals (yourself included) are using mac systems. That is why I said MOST users are using windows and not ALL.

Steam and other game outsourcing marketplaces like Origin run yearly scans and surveys on their users computer systems. Every single time the results come out, there are wayyyy more windows gamers than there are mac gamers.

Macintosh computers are great for artistic work, but they fall short in the gaming department because they cannot come custom built. The only way you can decide what your computer contains is if you illegally construct a hackintosh computer - which most people are not willing to do. Plus they typically come more expensive (for some odd reason :stuck_out_tongue: ).

It’s all about the money money money

1 Like

Linux is free :wink: So, can you explain why there aren’t many games on Linux?

1 Like

FYI for those who want the latest game release form Steam instead of waiting for HumbleBundle updates. (I hope I am not spamming the search results with these FYIs…)

1 Like

Wow! Would you look at that.

It seems that Mac wasn’t the most requested platform after all. I’m genuinely surprised.

1 Like

Been a long time since I parted with the cash for an OSX version of Stonehearth.

Still waiting, not happy.

Hey there @oldmacman, welcome to the Discourse (or at least your first post, seems you’ve been here for a while)!

As has been mentioned before, OS X and Linux ports will come after the game is feature complete. As we all know waiting is tough, you might have some success playing on OS X with this guide. I have heard multiple people who have had success getting it to work with Wine.
http://discourse.stonehearth.net/t/the-mac-version/12521?u=jomaxro

Didn’t say I haven’t been using Stonehearth through the traditional Boot Camp method, but I invested for the OSX version. I’m prepared to wait (what choice do I have?), but I’m still not happy about it :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t predict a Riot, but as they are now in control, is an OSX version of StoneHearth still planned please?

(Edit) as it’s still on the Trello board, I guess it’s still planned.

I am a person who had always wanted this game since about five years ago, but I have a mac so I have never played it, I started a lot of forum posts because of this to encourage them, but I haven’t seen any change for five years…five dang years… it’s really depressing… anyone agree with me?

Ignoring wine skin or boot camp of course

Project was launched late April. 2013’ so hasn’t been around five years yet!

I think it’s been stated a few times that the mac version will be built when the pc version is done or nearly done. Same with linux.

One of them mentioned on the stream the possibility of a partnership with a company that’d basically port the game to mac.

Problem is that isn’t going to happen for a while no.

There are many ways to play it on mac, wine skin being one of them and relatively not that difficult to achieve.

Sadly as someone who has both a Mac and multiple windows machines(desktop and 2 laptops) I don’t really run into this problem, but I have used wineskin just to get a program on my mac. I really wish I could deliver better news but sadly I cannot. The game’s development has been speeding up since the acquisition and new people joining the team. Still not a major focus for them at the moment.

If I was feeling cynical (and I am), I’d suggest that the only time Team Radiant/StoneHearth have focussed on Linux/macOS is when they wanted money from users of those operating systems. Since then those backers have been fobbed off to an undefined future date.

I’ve already had a refund from Warhorse for the non-appearance of the macOS version of ‘Kingdom Come: Deliverence’, I hope this isn’t going to be another example.

Has there been any hint from the developers on any progress of a linux build? I’m fine if they want to release it at the same time as the mac version, but there’s been no information that there even is a mac or linux build that I can see. I bought this game nearly three years ago, hoping to be able to support a developer that would at least show that they’re working on something that runs on my platform of choice. I know the phrase ‘no tux, no bux’, but back then I was still hopeful. Now not as much.

There is currently no purposeful work being done on a OS X or Linux build. The team has stated that they want to get the Windows version feature complete before working on alternate platform support. The reason being is that developing simultaneously makes every new feature 3 times as difficult to debug, as subtle differences in the platforms can cause bugs to appear on one system that don’t appear elsewhere.

That being said, the team has stated many times that they intend to fulfill the promises made in the Kickstarter, so while it’s certainly taking much longer than they initially estimated (neither of the co-founders had made a video game before), it will eventually happen.

‘It will eventually happen’ wasn’t the deal proposed in the KickStarter. Dates were estimated and have been, and continue to be, ill judged.

Team StoneHearth can’t estimate when Windows version 1.0 is likely to happen. Even when that happy day does occur, no progress has been made on the macOS/Linux versions.

So at an unspecified time after an unspecified time I will eventually get the macOS version for which I backed this project. Oddly, I can’t get very enthused about the prospect.

No point posting here any more

1 Like

For the lurkers in here that are mac only, it has been a rough road with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Mazel tov.