Live Stream Question Bank

Reposted from elsewhere :blush:

Question 1: Generation APIs

Ok I have a second question now too :smile:

Question 2: Global values.

What sort of global variables / attributes do you suspect will be included into the game, as it relates to terrain and biomes. Specifically: letā€™s suppose the SH engine has a global attribute called ā€œtemperature.ā€ Will this be the determining factor in the engineā€™s processing of biome type?

Pseudocode examples:

temperature range 0-100
if temp <= 32; precipitation = snow, water state = ice
if temp <= 15; add effect: hail
else temp >32; precipitation = rain, water state = fluid

(for crops)
if temp < 50; crop grow rate = 0.5 
if temp > 50 & < 90 crop grow rate = 1

etc etc.

So this is what Iā€™m curious about - how will the overall game allow us to tie events to the biomes, and the biomes to events. For example, lets say I want to mod in coats. I can set a trigger in the villager AI to detect if weather is ā€˜coldā€™ then they can swap models to the ā€˜coatā€™ model, and so on. I can trigger all sorts of tangental stuff to this temperature value, and to the person playing the game, it all looks seamless. Of course people get coats when its cold, crops grow slower, etc.

For myself, I was hoping this mechanic is inherent in the engine because I was hoping to copy/paste/modify it to have a ā€˜radiationā€™ global value in addition to temp :slight_smile:

What is important to me is does this fall into the ā€œyou coooould do thisā€¦ but it would be reeeeeally hardā€¦ā€ category like reprogramming pathfinding, or is it ā€œoh yeah, itā€™s totally doable,ā€ like adding another faction type.

[Edited for numerous spelling errors and plot holes.]

[color=blue]Mod edit: Now being answered, count your blessings and praise your gods.[/color]

[color=blue]Answer: functions to manipulate terrain - yes, any terrain you want (functionally); working on logic to allow custom terrain (tile) blend in with randomly generated; yes to coat logic (general idea)[/color]

4 Likes