Interesting World Seeds

… of course I forgot to post the seed. I’m and idiot like that. :frowning: And yeah, putting a castle on the island was my plan, too.

Updated post with seed!

1 Like

Why does every island have this lower brown land?

You two prepping for an american invasion?

Nah, there’s no oil in stonehearth yet so the invasion is delayed :wink:

1 Like

Invade America?.. umm, nah! :innocent:

I was reffering to island hopping XD

2 Likes

The plains level commonly has holes in the ground and since the islands are considered plains, they have the same problem.

2 Likes

This is a good reason to give us the ability to restore earth/grass. Not sure how the devs would implement it though

1 Like

I’ve got a few…

I like this one especially because of the rounded mountain entraince, as well as the centered single tile of water south of it.

Massive single lake.

Last one, as it has a fairly large and rounded island compared to others I’ve played.
Edit by @Relyss: Seed: 856341099. (Sorry but I needed this one and I wanted to copy paste it :stuck_out_tongue: It’s one of the few that has clean space on top left corner, and I play with tiny world, so I needed one. Thanks!!)

5 Likes

Made a video to showcase a cool map I found but then came across the horrible truth that the world subtley changes based on which square you click. can’t find where I started to tell you guys how to get a cool little nook with a gold and coal vein.

The ore veins are something that are not determined by the world map. They are randomly determined as you explore the map with your hearthlings. They can appear much closer to your start town than they used to, so they can appear nearby the moment you place your banner.

5 Likes

because they are located on the plains level, and plains have lower divots like that, at least i think thats why.

1 Like

Conspiracy here is a similar one I found, excuse the red square as it was for a different post.

2 Likes

SWEET JESUS ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED :open_mouth:

But in all seriousnes this is an odd phenominon. I mean what are the chances of the same layout of a world seed being generated but arranged differently?

2 Likes

I’ve been tracking this since i posted that clone of the one you posted. There seems to be a bug in the map generator. I see a lot of variations of very similar maps interspersed with fewer originals. Must be a flaw in how the maps are generated

There is not even a similarity with the seed numbers either. Not a programmer and I have no idea what the seed number stands for, I assumed each number corresponded to mountains, islands, heights, widths, etc.

Yeah, I’ve been trying to figure out a pattern in the seed numbering but haven’t had any luck.

@sdee @Albert does map cloning count as a bug or is this just how map generation works?
(referring to very similar maps with greatly varying seed numbers)

I have played Gnomoria in the past and they used seeds but then changed the system to slider bars representing height, width and ruggedness of mountains. You could go from flat terrain to some pretty warped terrain. Plant life was random and bodies of water I think.

With most algorithms, change in the seed doesn’t correspond to change in the world. I think the main problem here is that there’s not much large-scale variation and so most maps [and seeds] look fairly similar.

2 Likes

Computers use pseudo-random number generators (RNG) to create sort-of random numbers. These RNGs create the exact same series of numbers every time because computers are terrible at true randomness. Fortunately it’s a series of numbers of infinite length and you can start anywhere in the sequence you want. What a seed does is tell you where in the sequence to start.

Of course, there is something of a chicken and egg problem here. How do you get a random seed if computers don’t do random? One common way to do it is to use time in some way as a seed into an RNG that exists just to get you unique seeds!

But what does this have to do with creating a map? In Stonehearth, they use a function called simplex noise (which is more useful form of perlin noise) to generate the details. This function can create an n-dimensional shape (typically 3-dimensional for maps) that is infinite in size. It uses an RNG to do so. To ensure that each map is different, you’ll want a unique seed for the RNG.

Simplex noise is a fairly complicated subject and depending on the input parameters (seed, octaves, amplitude, etc) can generate a vast variety of results. Also, you don’t have to just use one set of noise. You can use many sets of noise layered on top of each other with differing parameters and functions to create some really elaborate psuedo-random results.

10 Likes