I cannot launch the game from Steam

Attempting to launch the game from Steam results in:

“Failed to start game - unknown error”

Any idea what to do next?
Many thanks

Check your steamapp folder and find stonehearth. Is the stonehearth.exe in there?

Also, show us your system specs please and thank you.

2 Likes

Indeed it is inside steamapp folder.
Launching it tells me “it is not a valid win32 application”.
How would you like me to show system spec? Is there any preferred program that dumps this info?
Thanks

I. Right click on “my computer” go to properties, there will be some information there.
1.Click on the “hardware” tab.
2.Click on “device manager” There will be more information here.

Also, have you tried re-installing? And by re-install, i mean deleting the entire Stonehearth folder and doing a fresh install. Try disabling any anti-virus software you have installed as well (before installing), sometimes it doesn’t like the Stonehearth.exe

Here is a report from CPU-Z. Let me know if its enough.
CPU-Z TXT Report

Binaries

CPU-Z version 1.58

Processors

Number of processors 1
Number of threads 2

APICs

Processor 0
– Core 0
– Thread 0 0
– Core 1
– Thread 0 1

Processors Information

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 2 (max 2)
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
Codename Wolfdale
Specification Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x0)
CPUID 6.7.A
Extended CPUID 6.17
Core Stepping R0
Technology 45 nm
TDP Limit 65 Watts
Core Speed 2933.3 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 11.0 x 266.7 MHz
Rated Bus speed 1066.6 MHz
Stock frequency 2933 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T, VT-x
L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 3072 KBytes, 12-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 11.0x
Max VID 1.288 V

Thread dumps

CPU Thread 0
APIC ID 0
Topology Processor ID 0, Core ID 0, Thread ID 0
Type 01008001h
Max CPUID level 0000000Dh
Max CPUID ext. level 80000008h
Cache descriptor Level 1, D, 32 KB, 1 thread(s)
Cache descriptor Level 1, I, 32 KB, 1 thread(s)
Cache descriptor Level 2, U, 3 MB, 2 thread(s)

I haven’t tried re-installing. I will do that.
About system spec -
It is Windows XP 32bit on 2GB RAM computer. What kind of info would you like from device manager?

Ok, tried to re-install everything from scratch - it does not help

These two things are probably your problem right there. WinXP is no longer even supported by Microsoft, and 2GB is peanuts for games these days I’m afraid. @not_owen_wilson is probably the Radiant guy to talk to re hardware stuff, but I imagine that your system just needs an upgrade* to play Stonehearth, at least ATM.

*You should upgrade anyway frankly. What with WinXP no longer being supported, you’re going to be increasingly vulnerable to malware etc. I’d recommend not getting Vista or Win8 - Win7 is lovely IMHO though, and runs Stonehearth etc just fine.

1 Like

Going to agree with @teleros. Lack of computing power seems to be the culprit

1. Please share your official game requirements. I don’t ever remember something like that when I supported the game at kickstarter phase. Had I known it, I would not have thrown my money on this project. By the way, Dark Souls 2 runs at 30FPS at highest graphics settings on my machine. Surely, a game like Stonehearth should not be more demanding than Dark Souls 2 on machine requirements.
  2. The error does not seem be an “out-of-memory” error. It appears a split second after launching the exe. It might be due to the fact that the .exe is supported only on Win7. However, you, as the technical support should verify it first with the developers of the game. Do your homework, check what DirectX version is supported by your program. If you are supporting only DirectX10, that might be it. Is the exe that you provided 32bit or 64bit? As a customer, I expect you to do that and get back to me, instead of writing that the lack of computing power is the problem.

You’d be surprised, given that DS2 was done by a big development company, and Radiant Entertainment is a brand new game dev. Additionally, I bet they hadn’t finalised DS2’s system requirements when the game was only 5-10% completed, like Stonehearth is ATM. Point is, there haven’t been any official system requirements published because Radiant Entertainment don’t know what they’ll be yet. This last update to the alpha saw a fair bit of pathfinding optimisation for example - that kind of thing will have a big impact on the CPU requirements for the game.

Finally, you’d also be surprised at how resource-intensive apparently “undemanding” games like Stonehearth can be. There’s a lot going on under the bonnet that players don’t see, whereas for many modern games the most demanding bit is basically the graphics, as opposed to keeping track of god-only-knows how many variables, constant pathfinding number-crunching, etc.

@Silas and I are in the same position as you are, @andrey - we’re customers, and in no way, shape or form affiliated with Radiant Entertainment. Even the two mods, @SteveAdamo and @Geoffers747, are unaffiliated. Point is, we’re not paid technical support people, we’re fans like you who are trying to help you in our free time.

Anyway… if the worst comes to the worst, talk to @sdee or one of the other Radiant Entertainment people about a refund. Unless @not_owen_wilson or one of their more tech-literate people jumps in, I suspect the best we can say is “get a better PC” or “refund” ATM :frowning: .

3 Likes

I had no idea that you are not the official technical support. My apologies for my tone of speech, and many thanks for your help.

3 Likes

I haven’t got much to add to what @teleros and @silas have been saying, its important to note @Andrey that a few months ago I don’t even think the game ran on XP, and like has already been said, optimisation will constantly be happening from now until everything is done I imagine.

All I can say unfortunately is that either you’ll need to upgrade your machine, or hold out until the game has been further optimised, the team have made a commitment to get the game running on as many machines as possible.

2 Likes

Can anyone tell me how do I contact the official support team?
Many thanks

You can often get a reply directly on the forum. Otherwise email contact@radiant-entertainment.com.

2 Likes

Hey @andrey, the game does not run on Windows XP at the moment. We would like to get it to run, but the compile errors are so numerous and obscure that we’re not sure when we will have time to circle back and optimize for that platform. If you can’t play it on another computer, and you purchased the game through stonehearth.net, you should be able to get a refund from the Humble Bundle Store. I’ll ping @Tom to add a note regarding currently supported operating systems to the purchase page.

4 Likes

Hi @sdee, thanks for your response. I’ve recently upgraded my system to Win7, so there is no need for refund. However, please do update the currently supported operating systems for the sake of other people.

4 Likes