Favourite Game OSTs, Songs or Interpretations

I find myself listening to a lot of game soundtracks recently, really seems to help me concentrate doing work!

As such I wanted to know what your favourite soundtrack, individual song, or other people’s versions of a piece of music from a game are.

For me, I really love [urlhttp://www.youtube.com/user/phoenixrisemusic/videos] this person’s [/url] versions of some Final Fantasy soundtracks. the melancholy versions of the [urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsAHfrBr_4c]FF7[/url], [urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfdwMIiUork]FF8[/url], and [urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7um2uGwSG0M]FF9[/url] soundtracks are just amazing, (they’re each over an hour long, just a heads up).

I’ll save posting a lot of the other stuff I like for later in the conversation, don’t wanna burn out at the start!

2 Likes

its hard to top the FF tracks…

however, i am a huge fan of virtually anything Jeremy Soule has created, and love all the tracks for the Elder Scrolls series (particularly Morrowind and Oblivion)…

1 Like

My video game music collection consists of:

• ZREO orchestrations of The Legend of Zelda - namely, Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, and Wind Waker.
  • Full OSTs from: Zelda: Skyward Sword, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Star Fox 64, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Portal 2, and Supreme Commander 2.
  • A few choice selections from the Mass Effect Trilogy, To The Moon, Runescape (mostly for nostalgia), a few games from the Humble Indie Bundle (Thomas Was Alone, Little Inferno, Capsized), Supreme Commander 1, and Skyrim.
  • Tons of random tracks from other games, movies, and shows.

It’s great for getting stuff done - no distracting lyrics, and it’s punctuated by frequent bursts of nostalgia.

The full OSTs are starting to cause problems though. As it turns out, not every single track in a game is something you want in a shuffle playlist. The Metroid Primes are the worst - so much ambience.

1 Like

Hadn’t come across these before, now looking them up and they sound pretty cool, will definitely check them out!

Have you heard the [urlhttp://theophany-rmx.bandcamp.com/album/times-end-majoras-mask-remixed]Majora’s Mask remix called Time’s End [/url]? It’s another one I stick on now and again and is great.

I try putting the Mirror’s Edge soundtrack on now and again and keep forgetting that there are just some songs on there that just aren’t quite right for listening without the game … maybe it’s just me!

Nobuo Uematsu is pretty phenomenal - anything he’s created will top most of the charts. The music from XI really fit the different zones and emphasized the feel of each zone. I’m also really partial to the music from Civ III & IV.

I’m a bit of a sap so I think my favorite songs come from Final Fantasy VIII (Eyes on Me, by Faye Wong) and from FFX-2 the concert 1000 Words.

I seem to spend most of my time traveling to work, in work or returning home from work listening to the following:

Mass Effect (all of them)
Deus Ex (the new one)
The Second Uncharted (Nepal etc al.)
EveOnline (ah… mining asteroids)
The title track from Mirror’s Edge
Homeworld
Anything from Firefly/Serenity

Also Morrowind & Skyrim

3 Likes

You listened to the Journey soundtrack? It’s pretty relaxing.

1 Like

any and all references to this wonderful series make me both happy and sad, all at once… :smile: :cry:

1 Like

You want a good OST?

The Chrono Cross OST by Yasunori Mitsuda (Who also did the Chrono Trigger soundstrack)

I don’t know how to post links as a single button…

Listen to those and then listen to everything else.

2 Likes

No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
FTL
Capsized
Payday 2

Some of my favs (trying not to name the already named)

1 Like

such an over abundance of awesomeness… :smile:

thanks for the direct link to the Chrono Cross track @Dash … i hadnt heard it before, and played it quite a bit this evening… :+1:

1 Like

:smile: top these. DO IT

Tor’s theme from the game Iji is pretty cool. At least I think so

Most OST’s have maybe one, in rare cases two, songs that stand out and really stick with me.

Chrono Cross, it’s the majority of the songs. It fit the setting perfectly, each song filled the mood perfectly, but on top of that, 90% of the songs were memorable. They were solid, amazing songs.

And Ocarina of Time.

Found entire OST!

1 Like

The Chrono Cross music was awesome! Will definitely give the OST a listen next time I’m doing some work.

Just gonna throw a few more into the mix.

If you’re a big FF7 fan, check out the OverClocked Remix - ‘Voices of the Lifestream’ versions of the songs, some of them are trippy as hell, but there are some great pieces in there - all depends what you like listening to.

I love the Bastion soundtrack, well worth a listen, this is just one of the songs.

And, I can’t not put this in here

2 Likes

For me, this is it…

Hm, maybe I will create my private Monkey Island Sound Mod for Stonehearth :wink:.

2 Likes

I am unable to talk rationally about it I am afraid, It is too soon… :rocket: :cow: :horse: :train2: :large_blue_circle: :sunny:

Shiney

I suppose this is as good a time as any, what do you expect from the Stonehearth OST?

German psychedelic house music. 100%, you heard it here first.

2 Likes

If this is not part of the official soundtrack I will be disappoint:

2 Likes