Error in time_tracker_controller. Citizens stuck in floor

This one is weird. I got it too the other day, but I was modding so it was probably my fault (don’t know what causes the error).

This bug with the hearthlings idle and/or stuck in the ground is one of the first things devs will have to fix when they return from EVO :disappointed_relieved:

The AI seems to be going crazy when there are too many hearthlings, and as they revamped the AI system for Alpha 11, it’s normal that there are some bugs…

1 Like

I’m also getting this bug every time i start a new game, doesn’t matter how many hearthlings i have and in fact i usually have around 8 when this happens. it doesn’t matter if i avoid custom buildings or not. i’m not getting any sinking hearthlings though, it’s just a crazy surge of lua usage and my hearthlings will just not move, and eventually start to starve. also hitting F5 (or F3, I’ve tried both) to reset the pathfinding doesn’t seem to do anything.

1 Like

So in the latest branch of the game, there will be usually 2 hearthlings who just freeze in the middle of my village and stay there till they starve to death. Often buried up to their heads

I got this message:
develop-2494 (x64)
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:59: bad unit transition “start_thinking” from "finished"
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.luac:32: in function <radiant/modules/common.luac:32>
[C]: in function 'error’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:59: in function '_unknown_transition’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:84: in function '_start_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:212: in function '_do_slow_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:270: in function '_fn’
radiant/controllers/timer_controller.luac:28: in function 'fire’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function <radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9>
[C]: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function 'set_now’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:20: in function 'increment_now’
radiant/modules/timer.luac:6: in function 'self’
radiant/modules/events.luac:80: in function <radiant/modules/events.luac:78>
radiant/modules/events.luac:78: in function 'trigger’
radiant/modules/events.luac:97: in function '_update’
radiant/server.luac:19: in function <radiant/server.luac:17>

Game is stopping and starting constantly, I posted a thread about this before, but you guys updated in a new alpha and noted that these problems were squished.
Hope this helps,

Thanks

This is a reported bug. Are you playing Alpha 10.5? I’m pretty sure they fixed that in Alpha 11. (Though it is still unstable.)

Don’t know what caused this, or how to recreate it. I was placing chairs and tables, when a goblin and undead attacked me at the same time. I went into town defense mode, and two of the same engine errors popped up.

I discovered that also but unfortunately it only works for so long. My game is now completely unplayable because everyone is frozen. I noticed it only started happening when I paused my game so I could design a Town Hall. It started with one, then two until now all of my people are frozen. sigh I hope they fix this soon. I get so attached to each world then something always happens and I have to restart lol guess that’s what happens when you play an alpha game.

1 Like

I think I had only 10 or so. Eventually on that save my lua was at 98%… well, 98% of the time and everyone was just standing on top of an unfinished house.

1 Like

irony at it’s best:

two of my Hearthlings got stuck while eating in the dining hall (standard template)
I only noticed it when the first on died and checking the secon one I noticed he was in a sitting stance but not on the chair… instead he was sitting in the air right next to the chair…
since he had no food in his backpack I assume he got stuck after eating when he was about to leave the table

I already tried to free him by moving the chair but no luck… of course he is hungry now and about to die :confused:

the other Hearthling apparently starved in the same position (the Journal confirms he starved)

in my attempt to save my weaver Hearthling I reloaded the savegame and instantly got this error

develop-2494 (x64)
radiant/modules/entities.luac:86: attempt to index local 'entity' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	radiant/modules/events.luac:68: in function <radiant/modules/events.luac:65>
	radiant/modules/entities.luac:86: in function 'get_world_grid_location'
	stonehearth/services/server/town/town.luac:97: in function '?'
	stonehearth/services/server/town/town.luac:30: in function '_restore_saved_calls'
	stonehearth/services/server/town/town.luac:11: in function '_on_game_loaded'
	stonehearth/services/server/town/town.luac:9: in function 'obj'
	radiant/modules/events.luac:15: in function 'self'
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	radiant/modules/events.luac:78: in function <radiant/modules/events.luac:70>

and after reloading the Hearthling is stuck in the floor and only his head is above ground… so reloading made it even worse

I also noticed minor performance problems after I changed from alpha 10-5 to 11 resulting in short screen freezing and lag

my system:
CPU: i7-4790 @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32GB
GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX970 4GB SLI

5 minutes into a new game, just finished building the dining hall and after the first meal there poor Abi already got stuck after leaving her seat
this error just popped up when I tried to open the save menu… it’s a different one than yesterday

develop-2494 (x64)
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:59: bad unit transition "start_thinking" from "finished"
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:59: in function '_unknown_transition'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:84: in function '_start_thinking'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:212: in function '_do_slow_thinking'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:270: in function '_fn'
	radiant/controllers/timer_controller.luac:28: in function 'fire'
	radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function <radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9>
	radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function 'set_now'
	radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:20: in function 'increment_now'
	radiant/modules/timer.luac:6: in function 'self'
	radiant/modules/events.luac:78: in function 'trigger'
	radiant/modules/events.luac:97: in function '_update'

edit:
just when I marked all chairs and tables to be removed from the building the error mayhem rained upon me O_O
instantly 16 error poped up
1/16

develop-2494 (x64)
stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:223: assertion failed: tried to add iconic (370258 Simple Wooden Chair (iconic)) when root is already in inventory
stack traceback:
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:656: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:649>
	radiant/modules/common.luac:99: in function 'assert'
	stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:223: in function '_check_entity_forms_of_new_item'
	stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:95: in function 'add_item'
	...tonehearth/components/storage/storage_component.luac:133: in function 'add_item'
	...arth/ai/actions/put_carrying_in_backpack_action.luac:14: in function 'call_fn'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:16: in function '_call_run'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:185: in function '_run_from_started'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:128: in function '_run'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:439: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:439>
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:101: in function '_run'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:338: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:329>
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:658: in function '_protected_call'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:340: in function 'run'
	stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.luac:128: in function '_thread_main'
	stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.luac:90: in function <stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.luac:89>
	stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.luac:89: in function 'f'
	radiant/lib/env.luac:8: in function <radiant/lib/env.luac:8>

2/16

develop-2494 (x64)
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:223: assertion failed: tried to add iconic (370258 Simple Wooden Chair (iconic)) when root is already in inventory
stack traceback:
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:656: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:649>
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: in function '_exit_protected_call'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:667: in function '_protected_call'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:439: in function '_run_from_started'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:338: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:329>
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:658: in function '_protected_call'
	stonehearth/services/server/ai/compound_action.luac:117: in function 'call_fn'
	stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.luac:90: in function <stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.luac:89>

3/16

develop-2494 (x64)
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:223: assertion failed: tried to add iconic (370258 Simple Wooden Chair (iconic)) when root is already in inventory
stack traceback:
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: in function '_exit_protected_call'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:667: in function '_protected_call'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:185: in function '_run_from_started'
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:439: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:439>

4/16

develop-2494 (x64)
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:223: assertion failed: tried to add iconic (370258 Simple Wooden Chair (iconic)) when root is already in inventory
stack traceback:
	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:439: in function '_run_from_started'

5/16
develop-2494 (x64)

stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:223: assertion failed: tried to add iconic (370258 Simple Wooden Chair (iconic)) when root is already in inventory
stack traceback:

6/16

develop-2494 (x64)
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:223: assertion failed: tried to add iconic (370258 Simple Wooden Chair (iconic)) when root is already in inventory
stack traceback:

7/16

develop-2494 (x64)
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:223: assertion failed: tried to add iconic (370258 Simple Wooden Chair (iconic)) when root is already in inventory
stack traceback:

8/16
develop-2494 (x64)

stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:223: assertion failed: tried to add iconic (370258 Simple Wooden Chair (iconic)) when root is already in inventory
stack traceback:

looks like the error is a result of a bad loop that re-iterates itself again and again as the error header seems to repeat itself adding one iteration each time

edit2:
heureka! after removing some chairs near Abi she finally got free and moved again… straight to the next chair to eat some food facepalm

but now my lvl3 carpenter got stuck while removing chairs… irony

but after all inventory was removed from the dining hall they all got free and moving again :smiley:

I moved a post to an existing topic: [Con] Alpha 10 - Males with outfits losing their heads! (all affected, mostly footmen)

I moved a post to an existing topic: [Alpha 10.5-11] Sheep Have Problems

just received my 17th Derpl… err… Hearthling and 22 days into the game without this kind of errors yet simply because I have not placed a single table nor chair nor bench to eat at

they have beds and all kind of workshops but so far none of them got stuck

compared to my previous world where I got stucked Hearthlings right from the start this seems to be at least one of the causes for these errors

Same bug, one worker went idle, even frozen in animation and starved to death. Second hearthling is doing it despite being put in a party and put into the dining hall.

Steam Screenshot

Errors from before:

develop-2494 (x64)
stonehearth/services/server/town/town.luac:54: attempt to index field ‘_task_groups’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
stonehearth/services/server/town/town.luac:54: in function 'create_task_for_group’
stonehearth/ai/observers/fill_storage_observer.luac:18: in function '_create_worker_task’
stonehearth/ai/observers/fill_storage_observer.luac:12: in function '_update_worker_task’
stonehearth/ai/observers/fill_storage_observer.luac:4: in function <stonehearth/ai/observers/fill_storage_observer.luac:3>

develop-2494 (x64)
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:59: bad unit transition “start_thinking” from "finished"
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:59: in function '_unknown_transition’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:84: in function '_start_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:212: in function '_do_slow_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:270: in function '_fn’
radiant/controllers/timer_controller.luac:28: in function 'fire’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function 'set_now’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:20: in function 'increment_now’

Specs:

CPU: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.2 Ghz OC (3.5 Ghz base)
GPU: GTX EVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0 4GB
RAM: 8GB Ripjaw series
No Mods

I hereby can just re-confirm that Hearthlings can and will get stuck in chairs! [Dev 2513]
on my RAM stress test savegame I never placed any chairs and I went for 30 days and 27 Hearthlings without any single one of them ever getting stuck/frozen (and I stressed the game engine a lot )

but the second I placed some chairs they got stuck in them like flys in electric fly traps
either from leaving the chair after eating on it or just by walking by when another Hearthling placed a chair right on their foot getting them stuck in place

although undeploying the chairs freed the Derplings but meh… still no comfy eating for them :confused:

Every time i load new map i can play untill i save the map. After which i get this error which causes some of my hearthlings to stop doing anything. And i don’t mean they walk around doing nothing. They are literally statues frozen in place.

System: Win8.1 Pro
Intel Core i5 @ 3.3GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX570 w/ 1GB GRAM

develop-2521 (x64)
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:7: attempt to call method ‘is_active’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/events.luac:68: in function 'is_active’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:7: in function 'set_now’

1 Like

@Bas_Boven, can you send us your save?

Heyo,

Started a game where all my hearthlings spawned in the ground:

Got these errors:

-- Script Error (lua) Begin ------------------------------- 
    No matching overload found, candidates:
    void copy_from(EntityState&,lua_State*,EntityState const&)
    stack traceback:
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:670: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:663>
    	[C]: in function 'copy_from'
    	stonehearth/services/server/ai/compound_action.luac:58: in function '_save_entity_state'
    	stonehearth/services/server/ai/compound_action.luac:65: in function 'call_fn'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:22: in function '_call_start_thinking'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:243: in function '_do_start_thinking'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:179: in function '_start_thinking_from_stopped'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:96: in function '_start_thinking'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:307: in function '_restart_thinking'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:324: in function '_start_thinking_from_stopped'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:106: in function '_start_thinking'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:334: in function 'start_thinking'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:355: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:352>
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:672: in function '_protected_call'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:360: in function 'run'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.luac:177: in function '_thread_main'
 -- Lua Error End   ------------------------------- 

and

-- Script Error (lua) Begin ------------------------------- 
    stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:104: bad frame transition "stop" from "starting_thinking"
    stack traceback:
    	stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.luac:87: in function <stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.luac:87>
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:104: in function '_unknown_transition'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:172: in function '_stop'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:677: in function '_protected_call'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:360: in function 'run'
    	stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.luac:177: in function '_thread_main'
 -- Lua Error End   ------------------------------- 

Reloading the save caused the hearthlings to appear above ground again, but here’s the full log (44.7 KB) and save anyways

This is weird. The log says that CPP AI is off, but the error occurs in code that is only executed when CPP AI is on. Any chance you changed the setting without closing stonehearth?

Yes, I turned off CPPAI without restarting the game