[Con] Farms + No Crop = Red Screen of Errors

So one of the things I love in a game is the farming mechanics. So while I was playing around with the farms, I noticed the soil had quality, so I looked at the farm options and clicked the one with no crop because it said the soil replenished.

After that I started getting the red screen of death.

(Since I can’t upload pictures yet) This screen is pretty much just a list of errors. I got this a few times before, with only a few listed, but this was a full page of notes and whenever I closed it, it popped up again after a few seconds.

–Edit–
Alright! After a bit of testing I have successfully recreated the bug.
Here are the steps I took.

1. I placed a field of turnips.
  2. While they grew I built a little house.
  3. I waited until all the turnips had been harvested from the region.
  4. When they were, I changed the field to plain soil. Then the error came up again.

Just in case it’s important, my professionals included a foot soldier, a tailor, and a carpenter.

2 Likes

I had this error as well, when I tried changing a farm from producing silk to making nothing. Haven’t been able to reproduce it yet, but I think this screenshot is from when it happened:

Let me know if you can reliably reproduce it

hey there @Zurukin… welcome aboard! :smile:

as @phector2004 suggested, if you can provide some steps to reliably reproduce the error, it will really help in resolving the issue… :+1:

The steps are:

1. Place a farm and choose any crop type
  2. Anytime between planting a crop and harvesting them change crop type to “Fallow”
  3. Wait for farmers to harvest crops
    It happens with any crop type.
2 Likes

I think i found a solution to the cause, i found out my farmers continued to ‘plant’ after i switched my field from turnips to fallow, and every time they did it flashed an error, removing the fallow field stopped the errors, ill throw up a bug report soon enough

I just encountered this exact error, in Alpha 1665. It appears to occur exactly as mangarz described.

Summary:
Switching a field from a crop type to fallow will spam error messages when the farmers begin removing the crop.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a crop field of any size, and add any crop (I used silkweed).
  2. Once the crop has been planted, switch it to fallow.
  3. Errors will begin to report when the farmer(s) start to harvest.

Expected Result:
Crop is harvested and not replanted.

Actual Result:
Farmers continue to till the empty soil, producing dozens of errors.

Notes:
Saving the game during the error, then reloading from that save, seems to stop the error.

Attachments:
Screenshot of error window: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11050535/2014-10-06_00001.jpg
Save of just before error began. Harvest and subsequent errors occur after nightfall of the same day https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11050535/1412653106176.zip

Version and Mods:
Steam unstable build 1665, no mods installed.

System Specs:
Windows 8.1 x64 | Core i7-3632QM @ 2.20 GHz, quad | 8GB DDR3 Memory | nVidia GeForce GT 720M

1 Like