Alpha General Questions [the common stuff goes here]!

@Phagocytosis, Yes I was aware I am one version behind, I didn’t know how to update to 4 =p Thankyou for the info. I will check it out as soon as I can (at work now >.>)

2 Likes

If you’re using Steam, right-click Stonehearth and go to Properties, then Betas. Select “latest build - minimally tested”, and voila :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

@Teleros, that’s exactly what @Phagocytosis told me to do on his link ^^ thankyou for the help.
I am going home now and will have some fun with alpha 4 momentarily

2 Likes

Ok I got the Alpha 4 and played to my heart’s content until the bugs stopped me =p
There were some nice improvements over Alpha 3, but also some weird things changed for the worse. Here are my notes (and questions) on Alpha 4:

1. In A3 I could select an item and then a villager to bestow the job on him… it seems sketchy how it works now, it asks me for the villager name and won’t allow me to simply click on him! I would like the ability to click back, was way easier. Only way I found to give jobs to villagers was the other way around, which then worked properly (select user > job > select job)

2. When a crafter cannot do an item (like a spindle because it needs fibers), it just hang in there and won’t do anything else, would be interesting to skip it and do whatever he CAN do and leave what he CAN’T do for last (hopefully, by then you will have collected it). A warning that a worker is “stuck” for lack of resources would be welcome (am I missing it?)

3. I cannot load a game (continue or load), always dumpes me a “allocators_[t]” error

4. In some moments when you have some windows open, PART of the camera controls stop working. Sometimes you can’t mouse-wheel to zoom, sometimes you can’t right-click to rotate … should never happen! I was designing a building and couldn’t rotate to see it properly =x

5. Is there a way to order someone to actually take something and install? like, get a bed from storage and put it in the house? I kept ordering the beds to be placed but everyone was too busy with something else to bother (note: I noticed they only did that after the house was complete … make some sense but still what if I want to let them sleep in the bed before the house is done? like … it was almost night, the house was not going to be ready in time anyway)

6. While planning a house, it would be nice to have a button to hide the enviroment. I built one near a tree and had a hard time putting the window in the right place because the three would block the view

7. I can’t build walls and stuff yet? I choose build, made a wall around an area, and it would not start building. Worse yet, if I didn’t delete each wall segment, it would not dismiss the build window.

8. After selecting a gobling, it stood selected forever and ever (happened the same on alpha 3 btw). Nothing I did would remove the selection, which prevented me from doing anything else in the game because anything I selected would appear UNDER the name of the gobling, so I couldn’t click any action.

9. I noticed that “caravans” and such appeared, one of them mentioned leaving me something. But in no ocasion I saw something either as a caravan or the gift … not implemented or bug?

10. I can’t get my villagers to eat, or at least I seem to be a total failure as a farmer >.> … after some 3 days I noticed only the FARMER would eat as soon as he took the turnip, but not only it would not last the whole day, he never actually moved anything to storage (would eat first). A 10x10 patch of turnips ended up useless because it barelly fed this one farmer (he would eat, move to next, eat, move to next, eat … all turnips ate, 3 more days to grow … lol)

11. I figure door animations are not implemented yet? Mine were semi-transparent and villagers would just pass thru them?

12. Wouldn’t it be better if the gobling “vanished” with whatever he stole? in my case he would take something, move near the fog of war, and repeat and rinse … which caused one of my villagers to keep going after it and retrieving it LMAO.

1 Like

As a practical matter, I suggest trying to get used to the new system. As your settlement grows etc, it’s going to be progressively more difficult to do it in the same way as the alpha 3 version.

No there’s no warning, but it is a known bug (feature?) at least.

Tried deleting the contents of your save folder & then trying again? Not heard this one (that I can recall), but maybe it’s an issue with loading games from older versions?

Was it when you were trying to place something (eg zone, window, etc)?

Don’t forget that scaffolding blocks movement, unless the walls are so low you can climb up the outside scaffolding and jump down from the wall to the floor inside. Dunno if there are plans to let workers walk through scaffolding (I hope so - it’d also avoid the workers-stuck-in-partially-build-house issues you get sometimes) though.

Yeah, this has been mentioned here elsewhere. Not sure how easy any solution might be though (eg, what if it’s a cliff face that’s the issue?).

Did you select the wall & start building?

Save/reload any help? Otherwise, I think this is another known bug.

The caravan is invisible as intended (for now!)… the gift, assuming you accept it, should appear near your flag / campfire. If it’s not, then please mention what the gift was as well, in case it’s a bug.

Seems like a new bug to me. @Phagocytosis (bug hunter extraordinaire) might know more though.

Probably weren’t placed by the villager. There are still issues with placing windows & doors etc.

I think the plan is that the goblin will eventually return to a goblin encampment (ie, once the maps are much bigger), so I think this is a case of working as (ultimately) intended.

3 Likes

A very good point, that’s something I’d been thinking about as well. At least with the new release, you can unstuck the crafter in this situation by deleting the item they’re stuck on, which wasn’t possible before. Even so, your suggestions would be better. Also, I don’t think a warning like that is in yet.

Another one that I had noticed but not yet reported. Again, seconded.

What I do is just have the bed(s) outside until the houses are done. Although I was presented with an issue surrounding that recently.

This one was suggested here.

Nope, that’s unfamiliar to me as well. It sounds like other gathered foods were not recognized somehow (I have seen it happen that far-away berries that were picked from bushes don’t get retrieved), but then, for the farmer to continue eating every turnip he gathers, something else must be involved too, where eating somehow doesn’t reset hunger levels; probably everyone is hungry, but the farmer gets first pick every time he picks something because he’s right there, or something. Regardless of the reason, I have not encountered anything along these lines. Feel free to make a report about it in a separate topic if you want to help out more :slight_smile:

That’s true, and often times the blueprints for windows and doors just get shown even when they’re not placed. Opening and closing the building dialog removes them, but they return quickly. Not sure why, but it’s something like this issue.

4 Likes

Hmm well I see, the only mention I have is that the allocators_[t] happened with a save game on this release, so it cannot be related to older releases.

Also if something require a save/load to be fixed, it is still a bug right? =p but since I cannot load games, I can’t tell if they were fixed or not.

I will try making larger farms to see if my farmers stop being such hoarders lol.

Yep, definitely! The save/load is just a workaround, but eventually it’s to be hoped that the dev team will fix it so nothing will go wrong in the first place, so you don’t have to do that.

Hi! I’ve just recently downloaded the alpha 4 official release of Stonehearth and I wanted to share some thoughts about the game and point out some bugs. Probably most of them are known… :wink:

1. There is just 1 saw to promote carpenter and there’s no option to make another one in carpenter’s workshop… What happens if the only one you have dies?
  2. When building house, if some item is on the ground (my case was the flower in pot) next to planned wall, the item will get on top scaffolding. Maybe workers should clear the construction site first? (In my case after the scaffolding was removed, the plant floated in the air for some time and then it dropped on the ground.)
  3. When planning house layout it would be nice to make trees transparent.
  4. When accepting new villager, the game shows some errors. New villager goes by the fire and stands still and you can’t do anything with him. Saving/Loading helps to solve the problem
  5. About saving/loading: I’ve got a bug, when after loading, every villager was “in the ground” with only head sticking out… so I could’t play any more. Strange is that previous save of the same game, which was working, got corrupted too.
  6. It would be nice, if the promote villager screen was updated when a new tool is available. For example: On villagers management screen I’ve selected worker, then I’ve chosen to promote him. The panel with available jobs opened, but the tool was under construction, so I couldn’t promote him yet. Soon after the tool was ready, the panel didn’t update itself, so I needed to exit it and again go through all the screens.
  7. The crafting queue needs some tweaking. Sometimes it works great, but sometimes its stuck for example when weaver starts making something and he has not enough materials. He puts one ingredient on bench then when he has no more he is stuck. I think he should check if he has enough ingredients before he puts anything on bench. Also the “maintain in stock” option heavy relies on its position in queue. I’ve managed to make good chain of production: maintain in stock: 3 spindles; 2 cloth; 2 upgraded worker suits. But when I started to change the position in queue of the items, at some point weaver stopped working. I think that the “maintain in stock” positions should be “parallel” (without priority - just make what you can at the moment) to normal queue and should be done whenever crafter lacks materials.
  8. There’s a problem with fence gate. Apart it cannot be placed, I got a quest to make one for the trader in exchange for some reward. I’ve made one, but the trader didn’t take it saying that I’ve got none (it was in one of the stockpiles)
  9. When holding right mouse button and trying to move the view with ASDW, the screen moves slower than without right mouse button pressed.
  10. I’m aware that the building mechanism is its really early stages and there will be more functions… but please don’t forget to allow us to build interior walls :smile:
  11. There should be possibility to: destroy/deconstruct objects; demote villagers back to workers (in case you need more soldiers and there’s no worker to promote); choose which soldier takes the armor upgrade (maybe some inventory on character stats screen?)
  12. When building roof one of the workers fell down…but nothing bad happened to him :smile:

That’s it for now :slight_smile:

hey there @Peter… welcome aboard! :smile:

just a few responses, as I’m stuck on my phone at the moment …

I believe 1,4,5 and 8 are all known issues… and 2, 3 and 6 seem like excellent suggestions… :+1:

Welcome @Peter!

Some of these were indeed known already, and I’ve linked to their earlier reports so that this post can serve as confirmation for them, and so that you (and others) may find further information about them if interested.

1. Link
  2. Good suggestion! Seconded.
  3. Link
  4. Link
  5. Link
  6. Another good suggestion :smile:
  7. The crafter getting stuck when not having the proper ingredients is a known issue that is not quite fixed, but has been given a workaround for release 118: you can delete the order and add it again. Before, even when you did that, the crafter would remain stuck. But it certainly could use further tweaking/improvement. As for the maintain in inventory suggestion, that sounds like a good idea to me. Perhaps at some point, we need another way to specify these kinds of orders when there’s a large number of things you want to maintain in inventory. As it is, the queue fills up rather quickly. Yes, you can scroll up and down, but it’s a bit clunky overall.
  8. Interesting. It’s probably related to them not being placeable (devs did that on purpose until they worked out the issue with placing them next to each other without them being pushed up), although I have not heard of this aspect/side effect (if it is indeed that).
  9. A while ago, it seemed to me like moving and turning kind of interfered with each other, so that you couldn’t really do both at the same time, and they alternated when you tried, so that it gets kind of jerky and slow. Link
  10. Fair enough as a reminder :smiley: I’m sure they won’t forget.
  11. Destroy/deconstruct objects. Demote villagers back to workers. Choose which soldier takes armor upgrade: couldn’t find this suggestion anywhere yet. Interesting one!
  12. Link

Thank you for your thoughts!

4 Likes

Ok I have a quick question. I noticed in one of the videos (which I can’t find), that you could name a stockpile. Uhm, is that not a thing anymore? I guess its not as important as many other things on the list, but I was just wondering. I’ve tried to name one, and it just doesn’t work. Thanks for you’re time :smiley:

Rename it & hit enter, that should do it. I don’t think the game saves the new name if you just exit the stockpile etc.

3 Likes

ahhhhh you’re good :blush:

1 Like

I can’t seem to update it to alpha 4

if you’re running via Steam, it should auto update… if you’ve previously used Humble Bundle, you’ll need to download/install the latest client from your applications page …

I didn’t get it from either I got it from the stone hearth page

then you most likely got the client via Humble Bundle… what did your alpha email look like?

don’t include any transaction details… :wink:

You mean my email address?

Cause I bought it a month ago so I don’t remember what i did