[Ack] Game doesen't load (black screen)

When I click to run Stonehearth in steam the screen turns black and you see the games mouse pointer but the game itself never loads. This has only just happened since the new 188 version of alpha 7, nothing on my computer has changed and the game was working just fine before. Anyone else have this trouble with the new version?

hey there @Biggsā€¦ would you mind providing your system specs?

if you roll back to the stable client, are you able to run the game?

ditto - exact same for me

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M
Intel Quad-Core i7-4710MQ @ 2.50GHz (3.50GHz)

Did you try around with modding? What does your stonehearth.log say? Did you try deleting mods/ and then re-validating the cache in Steam?

1 Like

@Biggs @185000a

Donā€™t forget to go to your graphics cards website and get the newest drivers. Donā€™t trust your cards auto updater, make sure you get it from the cards site!

2 Likes

Iā€™m having the same problem. The game just freezes on the initial black screen and the music doesnā€™t play. I play through steam, and the ā€œSteam Communityā€ pop-up thingy pops up about half of the time as well, while it always pops up when the game runs properly. As far as I can tell, my computer doesnā€™t register the game as non-responsive when this happens, and it closes out without any sort of a struggle. But it fails to load like this about 3 times out of 5.

Here are my computerā€™s specs, by the way.

Windows 8.1
Processor: IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® CPU 2020M @ 2.40GHz 2. 40 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.87 GB usable)
System type: 64- bit Operating System, x64- based processor

I donā€™t really do computers so I have no clue what any of that means.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I donā€™t use any mods. Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s important or not.

Can you go to (folder where you have Steam installed)\SteamApps\common\Stonehearth and see if stonehearth.log has some trace in it? (Just open it with any text editor).

If itā€™s not empty, can you paste its contents here?
(I donā€™t think it will have anything useful, as the game doesnā€™t get to load, but who knows).

On the other hand, Iā€™ve realized that in r188 the game takes more time to show the Radiant logoā€¦

Iā€™ve had this as well (see profile for PC specs), using the (ever so slightly old) GeForce 344.65 drivers.

However, quitting the game and restarting it fixes this - bit weird, but there we go :stuck_out_tongue: .

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry to inconvenience you, but does stonehearth.log go by any sort of a different name? I know that I signed up for the crash reporter, but I canā€™t seem to find the fileā€¦

If your path is the same as I specified early, and you donā€™t find that file (itā€™s there, with a lot of dlls and the game launcher (.exe file), perhaps itā€™s because it doesnā€™t get to generate?

The log is supposed to be rewritten again each time you run the game, maybe if there was a huge error and the game didnā€™t get to start, the log didnā€™t create either (just a guess, but it should be there)ā€¦ :confused:

The crash reporter is another thing. If your game crashed it sends a notification with some data of the crash to Radiant, although if the crash happens before the game gets to launch, chances are that the report isnā€™t sent (it happened some releases ago).

Ooooh, I think I figured it out, unless Iā€™m wrong here. I forgot that my files tend to not have the .whatevers after them. i think this is it, unless im wrong.

I started the game a couple times to replicate it freezing. I have no clue what any of this text means, and it is entirely possible that it was just slow and was about to start running. got impatient. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh, so you got it to run? Then itā€™s just what I said:

But thanks anyway, that ā€˜browser | Navigate called without an existing browser!ā€™ gets my attention for other times :smile:

Oh, I guess I didnā€™t make that too clear. Oops haha :sweat_smile:

Yeah, Iā€™m able to play the game perfectly well. It just fails to load most of the time. The rest of the time, it runs just fine.

1 Like

No, itā€™s me, sometimes I donā€™t get it at first (English is not my native language) :sweat_smile:

@Biggs, @185000a , what about you? Does waiting more time help at all? I guess with all the changes the team make on each release, the loading time is getting longer :pensive:

1 Like

Same here. First time around itā€™ll just sit on black, second time around it works just fine and dandyā€¦ or if I wait long enough sometimes itā€™ll load up.

1 Like

Hi all, this is a known bug that has been fixed for the next update. Sorry for the inconvenience! As a (sort of) workaround until we push, if you keep loading/closing Stonehearth, youā€™ll usually get it to work.

(Long-story short: we changed the way the UI loads, so it loads while the rest of the game loads. But what can happen is that the game can tell the UI to open the main screen, before the UI is even ready! The UI doesnā€™t know what to do, so it does nothing, and then the main screen never comes up :frowning: Weā€™ve had a number of UI-related issues this release, due to our Chromium upgrade. Sorry for all the churn!)

7 Likes

Yeah I eventually got mine to work, rolled back to alpha 6 with it then went back up to 7 again and eventually it loaded and started working. Thanks for replies all :smile:

excellentā€¦ thanks for the clarification @not_owen_wilson! :+1:

weā€™ll leave this open (marked as acknowledged) until the next releaseā€¦

1 Like

So, about 2 weeks ago I tried playing the unstable and I got a black screen. Could hear audio and when I click around the black screen I could hear the proper sounds and such. So I asked around, many people couldnā€™t help me fix it so Iā€™ve ruled out my PC of being the issue and now I bring it here as a bug.

I have absolutely nothing changed, itā€™s fresh of installation with the fresh game smell, I use steam. If this is a bug please fix it :slight_smile:

stop being part of the problem @Pandemicā€¦ be a team player and be part of the solution!

geezā€¦

I kid, I kidā€¦ besties?

3 Likes