[A16/A17] The buildings my hearthlings will not build (round 2!)

@not_owen_wilson @sdee

Unable to build cozy townhouse template within 2 blocks of a fence line or cliff face when the building is positioned such that the internal stairs are closest to the fence/cliff.

I think the problem is that the AI isn’t too good at determining paths vertically, and so instead of using the built part of the stairs to reach the top of the wall and continue building the wall from on top of the wall, the AI keeps looking for ways to build from the sides of blocks only, and when it’s unable to find a valid placement for scaffolding in order to reach the side of a block, the build stalls.

You can see examples of what I mean in the save linked below. I build the same template in a native D3010 new world, one flush up against a cliff, and one that is one block away from the cliff face, and they both stall because of the same basic pathing problem, though I expected the problem to go away once there was one block between the building and the cliff, so perhaps this will help further shed some light?

Anecdotally, I’m not sure why the AI prefers to build things from the external edges of the designs and not try to take full advantage of the interior paths. I’ve seen builds stall because the AI required external pathability, while it could absolutely reach the same spot if it just looked for a route that utilized the interior of the structure. Weird.

1466004272057.zip (4.9 MB)

Screenshot:

Note: this post sounds like the same root problem – [A16/A17] The buildings my hearthlings will not build (round 2!)

1 Like